Friday, 5 March 2010

Vegetarian kievs

Our veg box is potato heavy, so I have been looking up some recipes to use them up. This is the first of many. These golden, chunky home-made vegetarian kievs are made with lentils, nuts and potatoes. I found the carrots a tad bitter, so decided to slice them with my potato peeler into ribbons and gently steamed, drained and then coated in olive oil, minced parsley and seasoning.
Unlike the vegan Retro kievs I made last year, when I cut into these kievs the buttery juices did not ooze out. I know I should have really taken a picture to show you, but I haven't, sorry about that, so you'll just have to take my word for it when I tell you it had all disappeared into the filling during the frying stage, but you could taste the deliciousness of the parsley and garlic. I could have easily fibbed to you and melted and drizzled some butter in the middle for aesthetic reasons like some food magazines, but I want to be truthful and show and tell you how my meals turn out. On a good point though, these kievs are very impressive and make a good substantial meal, so much so that we have two left over. I think they may be our meal tomorrow accompanied with some more carrots and cabbage.
Here they are before being coated in dried breadcrumbs and fried.
Vegetarian kievs
Serves 4 - 5
Ingredients
50g butter (*or vegan margarine) at room temperature
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
250g potatoes, peeled
75g green lentils
35g puy lentils
15g sesame seeds
20g sunflower seeds
35g walnuts
50g fresh wholemeal bread
Sprig rosemary, chopped
Small onion, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 free-range egg (*for vegan use 1 tbsp soya flour, 1 tbsp gram flour, 4 tbsp water, 1 tbsp oil, pinch salt, pinch sugar)
Dried or fresh Breadcrumbs for coating
Vegetable oil for shallow frying
Method
To make the garlic butter: put the butter or margarine in a small bowl together with the parsley and crushed garlic. Work together with a wooden spoon until well combined. Put all the garlic butter onto some baking parchment and use the parchment to work into a log about 5cm long. Wrap in the parchment and chill in the fridge or freezer until firm.
To make the kievs: steam the potato, then mash. You should have about 150g of mashed potato. leave to cool.Cook the green and puy lentils together until cooked, but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Drain well and leave to cool.Put the sesame and sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts and wholemeal bread in a food processor and blend into fine crumbs. Mix together the mashed potato, lentils, crumb mixture and onion, and season well.
To form the kievs: divide the mixture into four or five portions. Take the log of garlic butter from the fridge and cut into four or five slices. Take one portion of the lentil mixture and form into a round. Make a dent in the centre and place a piece of the garlic butter in. Form the lentil mixture round the garlic butter to enclose it, finishing up with a flattened cake shape. Do the same with the rest of the mixture and garlic butter.
To coat: whisk the egg, (*or beat together the soya and gram flours, with the water, oil, salt and sugar until smooth). Dip the kievs into the egg (*or soya flour mixture) then into the breadcrumbs. Press the crumbs in well. Chill for 30 minutes. Heat some oil in a large frying pan and fry the kievs until golden and crisp all over. Serve immediately. Adapted from here.

11 comments:

  1. This is very impressive! I used to love kiev when I was growing up, I will definitely have to try this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look and sound really yummy. It is ages since I used lentils - I really must get them out and experiment more with them. Your recipes are so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious, and a great way of using up your veg box spuds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I will give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Georgous & ooh so healthy vegetarian Kievs!!

    Waw,...they look good & appetizing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sarah. If you do make this I really do hope you enjoy it as much as we have.


    Thank you so much Lottie.
    I use lentils all the time, but esp. this time of the year when fresh seasonal veg are low.


    Thank you so much Mark. I hope you do give them a go and enjoy the flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Sophie.
    Other than the gentle shallow frying. Yeah, I guess these were healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using lentils a lot lately, too, Mango. Must be the season. I will have to give these a try. I love the way you made the carrot "ribbons" - nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is the season of lentils.
    Funny you should come by Barbara, as I have just finished making your Cavolo nero and chestnut soup. I'll be posting it up later in the week, so please do come on by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds and looks so very tasty, I have lots of spuds maybe I'll try it tonight, I'm missing some of the nutty and seed ingriedents but I'm sure I can find some good substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you'll enjoy this Kella.
    The original recipe uses brazil nuts, I didn't have any so subbed it with walnuts and I don't think the sesame and sunflower seeds are essential though they do impart an additional flavour. In its place you can up the quantity of nuts I guess. I hope it works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen