Friday, 2 September 2016

vegan Stuffed Fantail Courgettes

I've mentioned before that I am looking for ways to enjoy my homegrown yellow and green courgettes aka zucchini.  
I stumbled upon a meat version of this recipe and of course decided to adapt it for my vegetarian diet, by replacing it with meatfree soy mince protein which makes the recipe accidentally vegan, which seems to be the case with most of my recipes unless of course you decide to scatter over some cheese, though a vegan alternative would work well here too. 
I served the stuffed Fantail Courgettes with some couscous, but you can also serve it with rice or just eat it as it is, but I feel it is more of an accompaniment than a while meal. 

I think its quite an attractive dish too, one that would be appreciated at dinner parties or when you have family or friends over, but D and me, we are posh folk (just kidding) and only the best for us. 

I am sharing this courgette recipe with Eat Your Greens challenge;  My Legume Love Affair that was started by The Well Seasoned Cook and now administered by Lisa's Kitchen. This month is is hosted by  The Veggie Indian; and  Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.
Stuffed Fantail Courgettes
Serves 5 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
2 medium onions
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons smoked paprika or to taste
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, crushed
400g  meat tree soy mince protein

5 courgettes, cut of the ends, and slice lengthways 2 or 3 times, ensuring it remains in tact as you want to fan them out.
Optional cheddar cheese or vegan alternative, grated
Methodheat oil in a wide pan, saute the onion and garlic until beginning to soften, then stir in the carrots and garlic and cook on medium heat until beginning to soften, stir in the herbs and spices, tomato puree and seasoning, cook for a few minutes then stir in the tinned tomatoes, chopped.
Cook for a few minutes, before stirring in the soy mince and seasoning.  
Allow to cook slowly and swell
Prepare the courgettes.
Place the courgettes carefully upright  into an ovenproof dish. 
Carefully with a spoon spoon in the paprika soy mince between the layers.
Drizzle with additional olive oil and bake for 30 minutes,
In the last 5 minutes, scatter over optional dairy or vegan cheese.  Return to oven until melted and golden. Serve immediately.  Adapted from this recipe of Stuffed Courgettes. . 

17 comments:

  1. I always scoop my courgettes out like little boats when I want to stuff them but this looks much more appealing - I definitely need to have a play with this idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, yes in the past I've made courgette boats but was looking for new ways, hope you get to experiment.

      Delete
  2. Hooray! My parents dropped off part of their courgette mountain earlier this week, I'll be trying this out on Monday, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hope you get through them, my blog has lots of recipes so hopefully will find something that may inspire you and there is always courgette cake!

      Delete
  3. They look fabulous! I'm now actually glad our courgette plants are still producing - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda.
      I think they are coming to an end now with only fingerlings there for the picking.

      Delete
  4. Such a pretty dish and what a new twist to courgettes again! This would indeed be a very good dinner party dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog, I thought so too, I also like the one that was shared with EatYourGreens a couple of months back where the courgettes was cut like hasselback potatoes.

      Delete
  5. what a brilliant and beautiful idea. I've always done the 'scooped out' method but this just looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. It made for a nice change from the scooped boats or the hollowed cores

      Delete
  6. These are so pretty!!! Sounds totally delicious too. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's some really good looking courgettes - how fun are those! They look like they'd make a really lovely lunch with some salad and crusty bread - heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, they were really good - home grown courgettes too much tasty than bland ones from the supermarkets

      Delete
  8. This is so pretty! What a great way to make something with meat into something everyone can enjoy!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for #HealthyVeganFridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to enjoy courgettes - I love the fantails and there are lots of ways you could use them - I also love that you eat posh just because it is tea time - we do that sometimes too and it feels good to eat well

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You