Monday, 19 September 2016

Dwindling Harvest

The fruit and vegetables in my garden plot are beginning to dwindle
I share some golden and red cherry tomatoes from the greenhouse.  The lettuce has either bolted or the slugs have got to them. 
A handful of runner beans.  We didn't plant that many, but we have have enjoyed them mostly steamed over the past month.
Although I have some beetroot growing in my garden, a friend of a good friend handed me a brown paper bag that contained some beetroot from her allotment plot.  I thought it would be rude not to accept as it was a gift to welcome the start of a new working relationship.  I made this Beetroot Chutney.  I will share the recipe later in the week. 
In the paper brown bag, there were also a couple of allotment grown carrots.  D was a little jealous of the soil covered carrots as we didn't grow any this year, next year we hope we will. I am going to enjoy these two carrots, simply grated in a salad or coleslaw.
The nasturtium flowers are still growing in my garden plot, but some of the plants are turning to seed.   I harvested some fresh green nasturtium seeds for preserving.  Recipe coming soon, so if your interested come back later in the week. 
I mentioned last week that many of the plums had fallen to the ground and bruised.  These are the last of my homegrown plums, other than those still hanging on the branches trying not to be bullied by the breeze and be knocked down to the ground. 
I am sharing this post with  Harvest Monday is hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres.

16 comments:

  1. A gift of veggies is always a nice gift! I will be interested to see what you do with the nasturtium seeds. I've used the flowers before, but never the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I will share the nasturtium recipe next week.

      Delete
  2. The plums look good, Shaheen. The ones in the shops these days always seem to have been picked under-ripe. They are green and crunchy, not juicy and soft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Your right the shop ones are pretty hard too.

      Delete
  3. Nice produce you have there! Can't wait to see the recipes cooked with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog, I've made loads with the plums so far.

      Delete
  4. You've still got quite a nice selection of harvests there Shaheen. The nasturtium seeds look particularly lovely, are you going to pickle them? I've not grown them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou. Yes, I am going to pickle them. I hope to share the recipe next week.

      Delete
  5. Love the tomatoes, so colorful and tasty looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My harvests are dwindling as well, it's the season. But you have nasturtium pods. I checked my plants and no pods, which was a disappointment because I wanted to try this recipe, which you may also like: http://www.wildfermentation.com/cucumber-nasturtium-kimchee/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. Yes, indeed I have nasturtium pods, so sorry that your plants have yielded none which is quite strange really. I won't need to grow the flowers next year they come back ever year now from self seeding, but i have picked some. Thanks for the recipe, i have pickled these already, but hope to pick some more at the w/e, so I will def. try the recipe you shared if I can get my hand on all the ingredients, will let you know.

      Delete
  7. You make it so clear that the summer is over! Our farmers' market is still brimming with produce, but more and more of the stalls have the later crops such as squash, pumpkins, dried corn sheaves, and the like.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is over here Mae, with Autumn equinox tomorrow.
      I love the Autumn season, the colours and the vegetables it brings.

      Delete
  8. Wow - look at all of that beautiful garden bounty!
    Your plums are so pretty! What a gorgeous colour.
    You are a gardening goddess =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy, I wish I was a gardening goddess, I need to get back into gardening if I am honest, slowly but surely it is happening

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You