Wednesday, 14 September 2016

Derek Jarman's Garden

More photographs from our holiday in Dungeness in the Borough of Lydd
We saw the famous British Queer Pagan Radical Punk Director and Cinematographer Derek Jaman's (1942-1994) Garden, though I think it is now owned by a energy company like most of the shingle shore headland or 'desert' as it often described.  
Derek Jaman's Garden is described as a garden that sits on the edge of the world.  

Its not clear in the photographs, but there is a poem on the side of Derek Jarman's Cottage.

The poem on the side of Derek Jarman's Cottage is from John Donne's poem 'The Sun'
It reads: 
Busy old fool, unruly Sun,
Why dost thou thus
Through windows, and through curtains, call on us?
Must to they motions lover's seasons run?
Saucy pedantic wretch, go chide
Late schoolboys and sour prentices
Go tell court huntsmen that the kind will ride
Call country ants to harvest offices
Love all alike, no season knows nor clime
Nor hours, days, months, which are the rags of time
In that the world's contracted thus
Thine age asks ease, and since they duties be
To warm the world, that's done in warming us
Since here to use, and though art everywhere
This bed thy center is, these walls thy sphere.

A person in the needle.  This is me getting all arty, see the top gap. 
Dungeness is also home to disused railway coaches and rail tracks and railway coaches.  
Game of Natures Green Thrones



Finding calm amongst the windswept land
Room with a view

Goodness knows....


So cute - Cat still missing from October 1997
I mentioned in the previous blog post that Dungerness is also a place popular  for bird watchers as Dungerness has the oldest RSPB nature reserve .  
If your interested in Part One of our Dungerness trip - click here. 
For you Derek Jaman and The Smiths fans, here is a link to The Queen Is Dead - A Film by Derek Jarman (Official Music Video). 
Also a shout out to the only Bed and Breakfast (B&B) on Dungerness The Watch Tower and our host  for being absolutely fantastic and making us feel welcome in what is her home.  We will certainly return again.  
We will certainly return again.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I would love to visit the garden. I used to have the book in the top photo. Showing my age but I can remember staying up to tape that video when it was previewed on a late night Tube special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do one day, I don't have the book that was at the B&B I stayed at.

      Delete
  2. That looks really interesting...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, it certainly was and we will go again for sure

      Delete
  3. What a delightful place thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, I hope to go again.

      Delete
  4. More amazing photos (eye of the needle is great). We had a poetry book at school called The world's contracted thus and we studied that poem so it is lovely to see it - I think I would like it on my wall too!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You