Saturday, 10 September 2016

Plum and Licorice Salmiaki Milkshake

The plums are literally tumbling from the tree and rolling down our slope of a garden,
I made a Plum Milkshake with some licorice.  Even though I have stuck a licorice stick in my foamy milkshake, I have to admit I used powdered licorice known as salmiak.  Although I got the sweet salty salmiak - licorice powder from Bruge, Belgium.   Its a very popular ingredient in the Scandanavian region.  I had forgot that I had a little tub of sweet and salty salmiak, it was only whilst I was rummaging in my kitchen cupboards for something else that I stumbled upon it.  
This frothy Plum and Licorice Milkshake reminded me of a South Asian Lassi which is both sweet and salty.  So this drink is a bit of an acquired taste,  
So this drink is a bit of an acquired taste,  If you don't like licorice, just make it with a dash of cinnamon, of course it won't be the same.  I am sharing this recipe with Recipe of the Week hosted by A Mummy Too.

6 comments:

  1. Lassi is one of my favorites...I get it from a vegetarian restaurant specializing in the cuisine of India. Look up Udipi Cafe. Info on tomato soup cake link on blog with photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e, though plums may be an acquired taste :) I will come on over in a little while.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That sounds like an amazing ingredient. I love salty licorice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I noted Tiger shop sells some salty licorice sweets in shape of fish, but sadly when I looked close at the packaging, not vegetarian or vegan :(

      Delete
  3. Oooh I've never heard of licorice powder. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You