Sunday, 4 September 2016

September In My Kitchen Garden

I was a bit distracted last month and missed out on sharing what was in my kitchen, I join in this September with lots of fresh ingredients. 
I will start off with a little colour from the garden plot with salad leaves and edible nasturtium flowers.
Then we have plums.
I've made Plum Cinnamon Jam; Plum and Vanilla Jam; Plum and Licorice; and Plum and Star Anise Jam.
Plum Ketchup as well as other lovely yummy plummy delights that will feature on my blog later this month.
We also have some home grown blueberries that we have been enjoying mostly  au naturale, but I have thrown some into a homemade Plum Ice-cream too. 
In My Kitchen there is also homemade Lemon Velvet Marrow Cream Curd.
We picked up some Turkish Black Bursa Figs.  
We have enjoyed some of them fresh, but I also made a Fig and Mozzarella Pizza which was a little unusual but made an interesting change from the tomato based pizza base.
It must be the weather, but I have been eating lots of olives- green and black - from the jars for pasta salad and from the supermarket deli.
We went to Bristol a few weeks for a day trip.  I wanted some Korean Chilli Powder to make vegan Kimchi and I was so pleased to have found some at an Oriental Supermarket not far from the city centre.
I also picked up some other  bits and bobs such as this Crispy Wasabi flavoured Seaweed Snacks and Tofu, which I have to confess I did not enjoy at all. 
Some Vietnamese Spring Roll Rice Paper Wrappers.  Rice paper is relatively easy to find in this part of Wales, but when I saw it, I picked it up as I remembered there are a few recipes I had bookmarked to make with rice paper and have kept stalling as I did not have any to hand.  No excuse now. 
I really like Mochi, so I picked up these Purple Yam ones for a change.  These are all mine as D is not keen on them.  I can't wait to tuck into them, but it will have to wait until we have finished eating this home made Plum and Cinnamon Cake.  You can find the recipe here
am sharing this post with  Maureen of The Orgasmic Chefhopefully she will be well enough to host.  In My Kitchen is a super event for loggers to share what in their kitchen from all around the world, it was started by Celia who blogs over at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

19 comments:

  1. Wow liked your sharing sooo much especially your homemade stuff sounds great to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a wide range of foodie delights you have been having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much plummy goodness and your fig pizza looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mochi, only seen a few flavours, love the green tea ones.
    Got to beg on freecycle for fruit this year, friends crops are dismal. My fruit tress yet to produce fruit, though have 6 apples on my Braeburn apple. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame that you haven't had much of a fruit harvest from friends or of your own, I would have been more than happy to share plums with you - still have loads!!!

      Delete
  5. Everything looks so delicious! Your photos are great as well. Plumb also marries well with cardamon but be sure to remove those crunchy bits (which I didn't when I made plum jelly))). I am a bit envious of you finding the proper Kimchi powder as I have looked for it locally and cannot find it. Also had trouble finding it online in Canada. So good score there!!Love that you are gardening again. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda. D has picked up a new camera, so some photographs next month should be sharper. He's so pleased with his new toy. I am not a big fan of cardamon which you may be surprised to learn, I think my mother making spiced chai tea when I was a teenager did me in - but I am always happy to try it in different recipes . It took me a while to track the Korean powder, now I have to find loads of recipes to use it up. Would you like for me to post you some, I would happily pick up a package for you the next time I am in Bristol and post to to you. Let me know, be really happy to.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to see the recipe for plum ketchup - I've never seen a plum ketchup before, and I have a strong feeling it's something I'd like. Plus I have quite a lot of foraged plums that aren't tasty enough to be eaten whole, but need to be transformed into something delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ThanKs Joey, just posted the Plum Ketchup recipe. Its easy to make

      Delete
  7. Yum! Hope you and D are feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e, much better but I do have a little croak left in my throat, i may need to go the the doctors to get it checked out as its lingering. PS thanks for the link to the cake recipe, I hope to make it later in the year

      Delete
  8. Allrecipes.com is the link for Tomato Soup Cake...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really do have some impressive garden produce. It all looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I love your garden produce - you must have such an impressive garden - and spent some time in it! Have you seen the recipe online for rice paper bacon - I have that on my to do list! Your cake looks lovely and your jams sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, but sadly I am not so much of a good gardener like I was when I lived in Glasgow, taking time to get into it, but fellow bloggers who are veg growers are giving me that extra nudge now so I hope, every time that the next year will be better. Yes, I have heard of rice paper bacon and guess what, that was another reason I picked it up, you are so intuitive - or are we just similar in the way we cook :) A bit of both i think.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You