Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Berbere Split Pea, Sweetcorn and Yellow Courgette Soup

Its a soup kind of day.  
 I actually made this Berbere Split Pea, Sweetcorn and Yellow Courgette Soup when I had courgettes growing in the garden plot, they have come to an end now (though I have still have some courgette dishes to share).  

In recent years I have been exploring and enjoying more and more Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine. The last recipe I made was during Refugee Week.  I have to admit this Berbere Soup is not authentic, but it is inspired as I was given a little jar of homemade Berbere spice blend by one of the volunteers in my workplace.   
This soup not only has homegrown courgettes, it also has but yellow split peas and sweetcorn enhanced with a good sprinkling of Berbere spice blend.  If your  interested in seeing more Ethiopian and Eritrean recipes, please see here.  I am sharing this with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition Food of the Wold hosted by Simple Living Eating and the spotlight is on Ethiopian cuisine; and  Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen. 



Berbere Split Pea, Sweetcorn and Yellow Courgette Soup
Serves 6
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, finely minced
2 garlic clove crushed
1 teaspoon Berbere
250g dried yellow split peas, washed well and rinsed
2 pints water or vegetable stock
250g fresh or frozen sweetcorn
2 courgettes, quartered or grated (its up to you)
Salt to taste
Method
Heat oil in a wide pan, then saute the onions until very soft, then throw in the garlic and Berbere and cook for a few minutes for the onions to be coated well by the spice.
Stir in the split peas.
Then stir in the water  or stock and bring to a boil.  
Reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes until the lentils swell and begin to fall apart.
Then stir in the sweetcorn.
Cook for further 30 minutes, before stirring in the courgettes.
Cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until the split peas are beginning to fall apart and the courgettes are soft.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Blitz in a blender until smooth, return to the heat to warm through.
Then ladle into bowls.

8 comments:

  1. Have finally tasted berbere spice on the weekend I am not sure I will make it at home now but if I come across some at a market I might buy it and so I am delighted to be able to check out the ways you use it - love the sound of it esp with home grown vegies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans Johanna, it is fast becoming one of my favourite spices, but garam masala will always be no 1

      Delete
  2. I love Berbere--although I bought my blend and I am sure the homemade version you have is better! ;-) The soup looks delicious--hearty too.

    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I hope to join in again. It was def. a hearty soup perfect for the autumn season here

      Delete
  3. I've never had berbere spice, but I think I have almost all of the spices that normally make it up so I might be able to make my own.
    I love that you can add homegrown zucchinis in your dish - that's pretty awesome. It sounds really good! I really love anything with split peas in it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy, berbere is quite spicy, i do love it. Hope you get to try or make some at home. Yes, my homegrown courgettes were good - all gone now

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of bebere before either! I need to try to find some if it's spicy - I love anything spicy.

    This soup sounds so tasty! And perfect for the cooler weather we're having here now. :)

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some Mary Ellen.

      Hoping to join in again this Friday...not sure with what though, as I have been too busy to take photographs in the evening and just want to tuck in food after i get in from work, but will try

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You