Well today I wish to share with you something different - my Taste of the Sea Spaghetti. Some of you will remember my La-Vish/Lavish Vegan Ocean 'Fish' Pie, well this recipe is loaded with some similar ingredients: such as sea vegetables, spaghetti seaweed and sea flakes to give it that natural taste of the sea, but instead of mashed potatoes we have spaghetti pasta.
The Taste of the Sea Spaghetti Pasta was silky, chewy and slippery, but in a good way. I added a few drops of liquid smoke to mimic that smoked salmon flavour, but if you don't have that you could also try vegetarian 'fish' or 'oyster' sauce, but its not essential. There was lightness to this homemade pasta meal as we both fancied having a dessert afterwards.
To give credit where its due, I have to admit that I was part inspired to make a Taste of the Sea Spaghetti this after seeing a version of it in Sea Shepherd's Anti-Whaling Campaign cookbook 'Cookin Up a Storm'. But Laura Dakin's version is made mostly with Nori sheets, I did indeed take the initial idea from her, but made it my own.
Taste of the Sea Seaweed Spaghetti Pasta
Serves 2 - 3
Ingredients
250g spaghetti pasta
15g Atlantic Kitchen Sea spaghetti Seaweed
10g Clearspring Japanese sea vegetable salad, re hydrated, then drained
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 large fresh tomato, roughly chopped
1 - 2 teaspoons Tamari or soy sauce
Optional: 1 teaspoon vegetarian 'fish' sauce or1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
Good sprinkle of Clearsping nori sprinkle
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Nooch aka Nutritional Yeast Flakes
Method
Boil water and cook the spaghetti and sea spaghetti in the same pot. When cooked drain and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, in a wide pan, heat the oil and saute the onion until it is beginning to soften, then stir in the garlic and cook until soft, then stir in the tomatoes and tamari and cook for 15 minutes until its falling apart, then stir in the drained pasta, sea spaghetti and sea vegetables.
Season with salt and pepper, optional liquid smoke or vegetarian 'oyster' or 'fish' sauce and nori flakes, stir well to heat through for a couple of minutes before serving.
Scatter over optional nutritional yeast flakes for 'cheessy' savouryness.





thank you so much for linking to #inheritancerecipes. I have got to put my hands on Atlantic Kitchen Sea spaghetti Seaweed. :))
ReplyDeleteThank you Solange, so glad you like.
DeleteOh, ingenious! I really like using seaweed in dishes, but it never would have occurred to me to make a pasta dish with it. That looks incredible. I need to get me some seaweed and make it at home!
ReplyDeleteSo kind of you Joey, Hope you find some seaweed - by the way what dishes have you used seaweed in, i'm still looking for inspriation
Deletesounds intriguing - would love to taste it - I am not that into fishy flavours but I do love seaweed and a touch of liquid smoke would help
ReplyDeleteThanks Johanna. Its not fishy at all, more taste of the sea. I wish you could try it too,
DeleteI love seaweed but never tried it with spaghetti. The fusion of flavours sounds so inspired
ReplyDeleteI am so excited to hear from you Galina. Do hope your well x I hope you get to try this combo.
DeleteI've never eaten spaghetti with these flavours! It sounds lovely and a really nice change from the more traditional pasta recipes.
ReplyDeleteThank you Corina, I thought so too - make a change from my usual spaghetti pasta recipes, which I do like, but sometimes change is nice.
DeleteOoo such an intriguing recipe. I want to add more sea veg/ seaweed into my diet so I must try this dish. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare
ReplyDeleteThank you Hayley
DeleteThat sounds yummy...my boys don't like seaweed...but for me...I love it...
ReplyDelete~Have a lovely day!
Thanks Teresa. yes - not a thing for the kids, maybe when they get older :)
DeleteWoah this is interesting! A very good fusion dish indeed. I would have never thought to give traditional spaghetti a fun spin like this. I love the idea of the liquid smoke addition too! Nicely done =)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm featuring your recipe this week. I'm pinning & sharing!
Thank you so so much Kimmy. x
DeleteOooh I love the sound of this, I must look into buying some to try x #CookBlogShare
ReplyDeleteThank you Kirsty, hope you will find some to try.
DeleteDefinitely a case of great minds Shaheen. I keep meaning to do more with seaweed, especially as we live so close to the sea. If my samphire is anything to go on, I can see how well this dish would work.
ReplyDeleteChoclette, I do like samphire, though the ones often found in the markets are from overseas! Shocks me, really.
DeleteThis sounds gorgeous, it's really exciting to see a completely new way of eating pasta that I haven't tried before! #CookBlogShare
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Mandy
Delete