Friday, 27 May 2016

Trendy Truro

For Five on Fridays I continue with the Cornwall on My Mind theme and share some more photographs from my Cornish holiday. 
This time we are in the city of Truro.  
One is for architecture - This is Truro Cathedral.  


Outside and Inside.
Two is for colour 
Bunting in the High Street adds a certain flair.
So nice to see traditional red phone boxes and the blossom in bloom behind makes it look even more cool.
The Naked Drummer man sculpture on Lemon Quay continues to be a talking point 
I wonder why?!

Three is for independent shopping - I was disappointed in myself as I could have planned better and came along on Farmers Market day, where I could have picked up some homemade Cornish Fairings, but there was still plenty of other indie shops to explore.
explore.Above, how could the Welsh in me resist 'Rare Bits'.  
Make Art NotWar
Day of the Dead
Go On Hug A Tree
Four is for eating out - vegetarian and vegan style.
But sadly, I did not get to eat at Archie Brown as my mother in law fancied 'Ham, egg and chips' which she had at the Old Globe Cafe and Bistro, Of course, I ate there too opting for a veggie panini which was very good by the way, but my heart sank as I feel out I missed out a little bit not eating at a veggie place. 
Here's Archie Brown's menu.
 Five - is for hidden gems likeThe Secret Garden Cafe
The secret garden cafe is not hidden in some corner, but I did not know about it until I stumbled across it.  Its literally opposite Archie Browns above.  The Secret Garden Cafe is vegetarian and vegan menu was far more innovative, different and creative.  This is when I became really disappointed in not eating at a vegetarian eatery .  I was amazed by the menu and drooling at their amazing cakes in the window, but could not eat anymore as I had only had my panini and was too full.  
Click on the menu below and I assure you will be astounded.  Much more than your average green bean salad.
I am sharing this blog post is being shared with Amy who is hosting Five on Fridays over at Love Made My Home.   If your interested in seeing more of my Cornwall photographs, then please click here.  

24 comments:

  1. I love Truro, one of my favourite cities. I remember visiting once late in the afternoon and they were rehearsing in the cathedral. I sat for a long time listening, it was magical. Have a good weekend. B xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shots and so joyful post. I enjoyed this very much - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've found some colourful and interesting things to show us in Truro. Looks like you've had a great holiday .:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did , i even bought a second hand veggie cookbook there.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures of Cornwall. I love all the little independent shops you can find in some places. It's so great looking around these places, far better than the larger,one-in-every-town shops.

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that certainly was an impressive menu. I can see why you would have been disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it really is, I really am disappointed - more for the Secret Garden menu.

      Delete
  6. Lovely post, so much color. Haven't seen a red phone booth in forever. I'm not a vegetarian, but both those menus looked delicious. The sacrifices we make to keep others happy. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mac and Janet, me too - so much more character than those we see these days, Yes indeed the sacrifices we make - and I made quite a few of them this time round, family eh.

      Delete
  7. Being American of English immigrants way, way back, I love seeing the countryside of your area. Always surprises me how many names of towns we "adopted" here in the USA from Europe. Seems we just put a "new" before it! New Jersey, New York...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know its quite fascinating really, but its part of history and heritage. What makes me laugh though is people wouldn't tolerate it now if other migrant communities came in and tried to create a little piece of their hometown or home city.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous pictures. I love hearing about UK place names that we 'stole' over here in North America. There's a Truro in Nova Scotia for example. That is one tasty looking menu I must say! And I love the look of those Indie shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patty. I know its quite fascinating really, but its part of history and heritage and I don't think its about stealing, but more about claiming/adopting that place as home. What makes me laugh though is people wouldn't tolerate it now if other migrant communities came in and tried to create a little piece of their hometown or home city. Yes, the menu of the Secret Garden especially appeals.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos i have never been to truro. Love the phonebox picture. Shame about missing out on the cafes. You will just have to plan another trip back there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes - hopefully another trip back some day.

      Delete
  10. I always enjoy eating in a place where the food is innovative, but not weird. The Secret Garden menu certainly looks delicious. Rare Bits is a great name for a store! Lovely photos of Truro Cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorrie, I agree on all points.

      Delete
  11. Such a lovely bunch of photos! I do love Cornwall, and it looks like you had good weather too! I think I'd like to have tried Secret Garden based on the name alone, but the menu does look really good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, there are way too many Secret Garden Cafes about, the name often makes me cringe - but the menu here, fantastic. Truly gutted I missed it, a lot more unique than some of the places I've eaten.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful photos. I've not been to Truro for many years, this was a lovely share thank you. Just loved that bunting too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, so pleased you enjoyed my pictures

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You