Saturday, 7 May 2016

A Little Bit of Cornwall In My Kitchen

I have just returned from a lovely long week in Cornwall.  I will share more about the lovely places we visited, where we stayed and places we ate, but today I want to share with you some little things that I have brought back with me from Cornwall mostly for my kitchen.
Of course, I have to start of with the compulsory fridge magnet in the shape of a Cornish Pasty!
And then a Cornish Recipes Book.
We went to The Eden Project and I picked up this heavy Hasslachers Oragnic Panela.  I know it looks like a bar of soap - but its actually Colombian Cane Sugar.  I have had Hasslachers Drinking Chocolate in the past and loved it, so am looking forward to trying this.  I have also (unsuccessfully)  been trying to reduce the intake of white sugar in place of brown.
I also picked up some Cornish Sea Salt Co. Original Sea Pepper.  There was also lots of Cornish Sea Salt flavours about , but as I have a lot of sea salt at home I gave them a miss opting for the Sea Pepper.  
The guy at The Eden Project checkout gave me some Nature Valley Popcorn cereal bars.  I though he was being sweet and seduced by my fluttering lashes, but is was a thankful gesture for spending over £5.00.
I was so excited to find The Raw Chocolate Pie shop in St Ives.   I have somewhat acquired a taste for raw chocolate, especially having made some a couple of years back (see here).  I have had these little rich 60g bars of raw chocolate once in the past either in Conwy or Swansea, Wales and they were truly divine and that is not a word I use lightly.  D encouraged me to spoil myself, not that I need much encouraging but he tempted me with the 7bars offer, though I could have easily gone for the 12 bars offer too.  These are all mine - yum yum - to enjoy slowly.  I am seriously drooling over these.
As I was about to leave The Raw Chocolate Pie shop delighted with my purchase, the owner Debby Fowler encouraged me to come back in if I wanted to sample more of these sugar free, dairy free, gluten free delicious bites.  I just might I said smiling as I left.   There are many exquisite flavours (see here) including raw fudge, but the ones I picked were: 
Raw Chocolate Chilli Pie (prompted by D)
Raw Chocolat Salted Popcorn Pie
Raw Chocolate Festive Pie
Raw Chocolate  Mango and Coconut
Raw Chocolate Goji and Pumpkin Seed Pie
Raw Chocolate Green Tea and Lemon Pie
Raw Fudge and Peanut Butter Pie
Some more sweet things, this time for D.  Some Salted Caramel fudge and Clotted Cream fudge from Roskillys.  And a tub of Rodda's Cornish Clotted rich, rich cream
Finally, a beautiful handcrafted sea horse wind chime as our reminder from Cornwall.  This photograph does not does not showcase the craft women-ship that has gone into creating this spectacular piece, so I will attempt to take it again in the next couple of days.  Anyway, this stunning golden seahorse is not destined for the kitchen, but I feel I have to share its beauty here. I got this handcrafted sea horse wind chime that is recycled from seashore finds from a little craft stall in Megavissey Jubilee Hall near the church.  
The stall holder is Serial Beachcomber.  As an occasional vegetarian and vegan pop up food stall at crafts markets, I don't ever underestimate the time, energy, love and skills that go into making such intricate pieces.  I adore frequenting Craft fairs and admiring the marvels created by each stall holder and often try to come away with something as a way to remind me of my visit to that place. I was also tempted by The Serial Beachcombers seahorse ear-rings, but with this Seahorse windchime both myself and my husband can enjoy.  So I want this talented craftster to know, this will be truly treasured.  It is hanging in our  front door to welcome visitors with its shimmer and shine - that is of course when the sunshien hits it, we are in the Welsh valleys after all. 
am sharing this May edition of In My Kitchen post with  Maureen of The Orgasmic Chef. 

22 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Cornwall is my home county, so it's nice to see a post on it, as it often doesn't get mentioned a lot! Glad you had a nice time X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica. I have taken lots of pictures of different places I visited whilst there - from Newquay to Landsend, so much more to come.

      Delete
  2. What excting treats! I have a huge block of cane sugar I bought back from my holiday in Brazil (although perhaps it's gone off now, that holiday was at least a year ago!) that was really cheap but I don't know what to do with! I'd be interested to see how you use yours! I love the seahorse too, he's so pretty and sparkly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. I think your block of sugar will be fine, its often best before date and lasts a while.

      Delete
    2. I have used Indian jaggery and Chinese sugar which also come in blocks. I cut lumps off the blocks and add it to my cooking, sweet or savoury. It has to go in a pan so that it can melt into whatever you are cooking.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Mae, I haven't used it yet, but will do so soon. Your advice is much appreciated. Maybe I will start with a simple flapjack!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful area of the UK! My fave place ... Boscastle and the high cliffs right outside the village! We stayed in Camelford on a small sheep farm when we visited the area. I loved it there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I don't know that area, so will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing, maybe I will go there next time.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you picked up some fantastic things! I'm excited on your behalf about that raw chocolate selection - how delicious. I hope you enjoy them. The fridge magnets look great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. Yes the raw chocolates were my fave find! I am looking forward to enjoying them - very very slowly....

      Delete
  5. Such lovely things! Can't wait to see more Cornwall posts. Have to love that pasty magnet and I also like the sea horse very much. Sea pepper looks interesting and so does Hasslachers cane sugar. I have also tried their drinking chocolate, so I'm sure this is also very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog. Still working on the pictures, so please be patient. We went so many places - so so many pics (phew).

      Delete
  6. Fun...cute magnets...I'm going to look for popcorn bars now...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa, the popcorn bars are really light - almost like a rice puff bar.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing these interesting and tasty finds. Your cornish pasty is an empanada where I grew up. I hope you're both doing well. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e. Yes, empanada - there were a few Cornish bakeries selling empanada's next to the traditional Cornish pastries made me smile, the different variations around the world - in the Indian subcontinent it would be the samosa/sambosa.

      Delete
  8. If your souvenirs are anything to go by it looks like a lovely trip - I love the sound of the raw chocolate flavours and that cornish pasty is what I would buy for my fridge except it is a bit lacking in fridge magnet space right now :-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. it certainly was a lovely break from the usual work routine, though we felt we could have done much more. The free sample tasters of the raw chocolate were yummy, so I can't wait to tuck in, but have some fudge to finish off first! So pleased you like the fridge magnet, my mother nicked the first one I bought for myself that I had to go out and get another :) So funny

      Delete
  9. A lovely assortment of holiday souvenirs :-)

    I've never tasted raw chocolate ... I have a feeling I'm missing out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue. always lovely to get a comment from you x I hope you get to try raw chocolate some day, it is an acquired taste and not every one likes it as its often compared to milk chocolate we get in the UK, but its very differnt

      Delete
  10. i love your fridge magnet! so cute. and the sea horse is marvellous. they are such wondrous creatures. so amazing that the dads do the gestating of babies. i love all your cute stuff this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry. Me too, so true the sea horse is a wondrous creature, indeed.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You