Friday, 20 May 2016

Cornwall On My Mind

Some of you may know that a couple of weeks back I went to Cornwall for a weeks holiday.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and hope to go back again and visit those places we missed.

I've shared so many pictures of Cornwall on my blog already, but today for Five on Fridays I wanted to share Five things that made me smile, made me think positively and I am not the most positive person you'll ever meet, I am too grounded in reality and it makes my heart sink, but here are some things that warmed my heart.
Some people call the zillions or thousands of followers on their Facebook page their friends, I can only count my close friends on one hand and I do cherish them, even though many of them live far away.  This particular sign was on a shop window in Mousehole reminded me of how grateful I am having them in my life.  
 We went to Padstow and opposite the famous British seafood chef Rick Stein's Eatery there was a little place raising funds for cats.  Outside the door was some secondhand book, mugs and some painted slates.   I went through them slowly and took a fancy to this one.  I loved the simplicity and quirkyness of this donkey and robin and donated £2.50 to the honest box. I miss my Moggy still, so it has a warm place on our windowsill in the living room. 
On one of the days, we went to The Eden Project.  This cheeky robin in the Meditteranean Biome Dome in the Citrus Grove reminded me of our own cheeky robins and other birds back at home.  Also if you are able to read the writing on the lemon it gave me a chuckle 'Scientist have discovered that scents stimulate our nervous system to create a positive effect on our behaviour, increasing feelings of generosity and potentially even the desire to do housework! Yes right!
I totally loved the fact that all the coffee shops were local and Independent.  It really was so refreshing not so see the High Street Coffee Cahan Shops dominating the villages and small towns. There other thing about them, they were all just so original, not copy cat.  Everywhere we went, we stopped at various independent coffee shops and drank loads of tea, lattes and herbals. 
Finally, my favourite piece of reminder from Cornwall.  A beautiful handcrafted seahorse wind- chime.  This photograph does not does not showcase the craft women-ship that has gone into creating this spectacular piece. This gold twined seahorse is made from recycled seashore materials.  I got it from a little craft stallholder called Serial Beachcomber in Megavissey Jubilee Hall near the church.   As an occasional vegetarian and vegan pop up food stall at crafts markets, I don't ever underestimate the time, energy, love and skills that go into making such intricate pieces.  I adore frequenting Craft fairs and admiring the marvels created by each stall holder and often try to come away with something as a way to remind me of my visit to that place. I was also tempted by The Serial Beachcombers seahorse ear-rings, but with this Seahorse windchime both myself and my husband can enjoy.  So I want this talented craftster to know, this will be truly treasured.  It is hanging in our  front door to welcome visitors with its shimmer and shine - that is of course when the sunshine hits it, we are in the Welsh valleys after all - where it rains most of the time - it really does. 
I am sharing this blog post is being shared with Amy who is hosting Five on Fridays over at Love Made My Home.   If your interested in seeing more of my Cornwall photographs, then please click here.  

28 comments:

  1. There is not a scent in this world that would make me want to do housework. ;) Love the seahorse chime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great five, really does sound like a great holiday with lots of amazing coffee shops. Loved the friends sign in the door window, made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely moments and reminders from your travels! Your seahorse windchime is beautiful isn't it, so much intricate work!! A lovely memento. Thank you for taking part in Five On Friday, I hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoyed seeing Cornwall with you. Such cute and inventive creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cornwall is such a special place, we loved our visits there. Your seahorse wind chime is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to learn you have been there too, so know its magic

      Delete
  6. Great sentiments in much of which you write today. And I couldn't agree more with you about independent coffee shops x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cornwall looks like such an enchanting place to visit. Someday I hope to get there. The seahorse wind chime is a great souvenir and you'll be able to remember your visit when it chimes. We're going to Wales for the first time in July and I'm getting very excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, I hope you get to visit one day. OOoh what part of Wales, North Wales is really stunning - do hope you have the weather, it does tend to rain here - north or south!

      Delete
  8. I just returned from a holiday in the UK. On my next trip I hope to visit Cornwall as well. You found a real treasure in that sea horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, I hope you get to see Cornwall oneday, its a totally different world to other parts of the UK

      Delete
  9. What a bright post, Shaheen. I can "feel" how much of a lure you are feeling for Cornwall:)

    Thank you so much for "taking us along" it was delightful. I absolutely adore that handcrafted seahorse windchime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Louise. I am glad you enjoyed reading my post and coming along with me - virtually.

      Delete
  10. It's much more exciting to pop into independent coffee shops or those connected with a good cause like a museum or church. Looks like you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I sure did and it was fab to eat and drink in indie coffee shops, so much more character!

      Delete
  11. Such lovely things, they really are uplifting. I love the donkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much VegHog, back to reality though - yeah the donkey is adorable, even a bit silly - but we like.

      Delete
  12. The seahorse chime looks wonderful. I don't think we appreciate how much work goes into handcrafted items sometimes. It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. I love visiting little independent shops - those are the best kind.

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. Your right and we should more.

      Delete
  13. A lovely post of five cheery things from a beautiful place. I love cornwall too and spent many a happy holiday there. Mousehole is one of my favourite spots. Enjoy your lovely seahorse chime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad you agree about Mousehole.

      Delete
  14. A great five. I love Cornwall and the seahorse windchime is so lovely, what a great reminder of a wonderful holiday. xx

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You