Monday, 23 May 2016

Vegan Taste of the Sea Seaweed Spaghetti Pasta

Wow, it feels like a long time ago when I last shared a recipe on my blog.

Well today I wish to share with you something different - my Taste of the Sea Spaghetti. Some of you will remember my La-Vish/Lavish Vegan Ocean 'Fish' Pie, well this recipe is loaded with some similar ingredients: such as sea vegetables, spaghetti seaweed and sea flakes to give it that natural taste of the sea, but instead of mashed potatoes we have spaghetti pasta.    
The Taste of the Sea Spaghetti Pasta was silky, chewy and slippery, but in a good way.  I added a few drops of liquid smoke to mimic that smoked salmon flavour, but if you don't have that you could also try vegetarian 'fish' or 'oyster' sauce, but its not essential. There was lightness to this homemade pasta meal as we both fancied having a dessert afterwards.   


To give credit where its due, I have to admit that I was part inspired to make a Taste of the Sea Spaghetti  this after seeing a version of it in Sea Shepherd's Anti-Whaling Campaign cookbook 'Cookin Up a Storm'.  But Laura Dakin's version is made mostly with Nori sheets, I did indeed take the initial idea from her, but made it my own. 
Taste of the Sea Seaweed Spaghetti Pasta
Serves 2 - 3
Ingredients 
250g spaghetti pasta
15g Atlantic Kitchen Sea spaghetti Seaweed from Suma Wholefoods

10g Clearspring Japanese sea vegetable salad, re hydrated, then drained from Suma Wholefoods
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 large fresh tomato, roughly chopped
1 - 2 teaspoons Tamari or soy sauce
Optional: 1 teaspoon vegetarian 'fish' sauce or1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
Good sprinkle of Clearsping nori sprinkle from Suma Wholefoods

Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Nooch aka Nutritional Yeast Flakes 
Method
Boil water and cook the spaghetti and sea spaghetti in the same pot.  When cooked drain and set aside.

While the pasta is cooking, in a wide pan, heat the oil and saute the onion until it is beginning to soften, then stir in the garlic and cook until soft, then stir in the tomatoes and tamari and cook for 15 minutes until its falling apart, then stir in the drained pasta, sea spaghetti and sea vegetables.
Season with salt and pepper, optional liquid smoke or vegetarian 'oyster' or 'fish' sauce and nori flakes, stir well to heat through for a couple of minutes before serving.
Scatter over optional nutritional yeast flakes for 'cheessy' savouryness. 
As a member of Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months to use in recipe development and blog original recipes for the Network. 
I  am sharing this with Inheritance Recipes co hosted by Solange at Pebble Soup and Coffee and Vanilla as this recipe is part relationship and marriage and one we will pass on to others;  Eat Your Greens co-hosted by myself and The Veghog; Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Kimmy over at Rock My Vegan Socks who reaches her 100th week;  CookBlogShare hosted by Snap Happy Bakes ; and finally with and Pasta Please.  

22 comments:

  1. thank you so much for linking to #inheritancerecipes. I have got to put my hands on Atlantic Kitchen Sea spaghetti Seaweed. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Solange, so glad you like.

      Delete
  2. Oh, ingenious! I really like using seaweed in dishes, but it never would have occurred to me to make a pasta dish with it. That looks incredible. I need to get me some seaweed and make it at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you Joey, Hope you find some seaweed - by the way what dishes have you used seaweed in, i'm still looking for inspriation

      Delete
  3. sounds intriguing - would love to taste it - I am not that into fishy flavours but I do love seaweed and a touch of liquid smoke would help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Its not fishy at all, more taste of the sea. I wish you could try it too,

      Delete
  4. I love seaweed but never tried it with spaghetti. The fusion of flavours sounds so inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to hear from you Galina. Do hope your well x I hope you get to try this combo.

      Delete
  5. I've never eaten spaghetti with these flavours! It sounds lovely and a really nice change from the more traditional pasta recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corina, I thought so too - make a change from my usual spaghetti pasta recipes, which I do like, but sometimes change is nice.

      Delete
  6. Ooo such an intriguing recipe. I want to add more sea veg/ seaweed into my diet so I must try this dish. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds yummy...my boys don't like seaweed...but for me...I love it...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. yes - not a thing for the kids, maybe when they get older :)

      Delete
  8. Woah this is interesting! A very good fusion dish indeed. I would have never thought to give traditional spaghetti a fun spin like this. I love the idea of the liquid smoke addition too! Nicely done =)
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm featuring your recipe this week. I'm pinning & sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh I love the sound of this, I must look into buying some to try x #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty, hope you will find some to try.

      Delete
  10. Definitely a case of great minds Shaheen. I keep meaning to do more with seaweed, especially as we live so close to the sea. If my samphire is anything to go on, I can see how well this dish would work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choclette, I do like samphire, though the ones often found in the markets are from overseas! Shocks me, really.

      Delete
  11. This sounds gorgeous, it's really exciting to see a completely new way of eating pasta that I haven't tried before! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You