Saturday, 14 May 2016

Easy Aubergine - Eggplant Jam

This Aubergine also known as Eggplant Jam is not sweet 'jammy' in the traditional British sense, but its definitely  jammy, thick and spreadable.  
I made this savoury Algerian aubergine spread a little while back.  

We had mostly spread on crusty bread or stuffed with salad in pitta bread.  It made a good change from chickpea hummus.
I am sharing this with  Sunday Fitness and Food Fitness hosted by Marathons and Motivation and Ilka's blog; 


Aubergine Jam
Ingredients
2 aubergines, sliced lengthways
Good olive oil for frying
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon paprika (not smoked)
11/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Method
Heat 4 tablespoons Olive oil in a wide pan and fry the slices in batches until golden on both sides. and looking like its beginning to fall apart.  
Drain, then chop roughly (possibly using a mezzaluna if you have one). 
Transfer to a colander for the oil to drain. when the oil has drained transfer to a ceramic bowl and add the garlic, spices and sugar 
Place a clean frying pan on the heat then cook the moisture over medium heat for 5 minutes until thick.
Season to taste, then remove from the heat.
Squeeze in the lemon juice and stir well to combine
Transfer to a bowl to allow to cool.
Enjoy within one week. 

7 comments:

  1. Yum - I love the look of this. I'm always on the hunt for new savoury spreads and dips - otherwise it's hummus and baba ganoush on rotation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, yes it makes a fab change from the usual suspects!

      Delete
  2. What a great recipe Shaheen! So simple yet so delectable! I don't know where to "dunk" it first, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Shaheen...

    P.S. Cookbook Wednesday will be going on for quite a while (except for when I take a little vacation:) whenever you get a chance to join, we will be thrilled to have you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louisie - my recommendation - crusty bread!

      Delete
  3. I love the sound of this on toast - and how it sort of is jam if served that way. What a great dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. On toast - delicious.

      Delete
  4. This looks so delicious! I grow eggplants in my garden and I am always looking for new ways to use them, Pinned :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You