Monday, 16 May 2016

Its raining in Perranporth, St Agnes, Penzance and St Michaels Mount in Marazion

I lose track, if it was Sunday before Bank Holiday or actually Monday Bank holiday in the UK (or if I've mixed up both days in my head), but we got up early and went into Perranporth.  
Perranporth is said to be the gateway to Cornwall's stunning beaches and also a hub for surfers.




It was still quite early, not quite 10.00am as many places were still closed.
Good 2 Go  one of the vegetarian - vegan places I wanted to eat at was sadly closed or maybe we were just too early.
We decided to get back into the car and drive on to the next places, before we knew it D took an impromptu break for an Americana and I, along with my mother in law opted for a latte.  We stopped at Genki Cornwall a little white beach hut in St Agnes.  Genki means 'health and happiness' in Japanese.  It was really busy with cyclists, some getting their sweet cake fix. The above sign made us chuckle.
A fleeting visit to rainy St Agnes and then it was onto Penzance

 Next Penzance town centre
I was looking forward to having some lunch at Archie Browns in Penzance. but it was closed.  So we opted for a placed we walked past earlier. 

 The Cornish Hen Deli and it did not disappoint. 

Although not a vegetarian place, it had loads of vegetarian and vegan options.  
Our last and final visit for the day was a National Trust property in Marazion called St Michaels Mount, but the weather had just got worse and neither of us were feeling adventourous. 
 You see, on low tide days, you can walk to St Michaels Mount from the beachfront via a cobbled causeway, but not today with the blustery weather and high tides. 
We could have taken the motorboat, but D didn't fancy that saying we would come back another day and visit, but sadly this did not happen as we got distracted with other places to see and explore.   
Please click on this LINK to see its marvel.
It had been a very long day driving for D and getting wet in the rain was making some of us grumpy, so we headed back to our temporary abode for warmth and shelter from the constant rain.

10 comments:

  1. Haha! Being a Cornishman myself, I know that grey rainy days are very common in Cornwall! I've been in that Cornish Hen shop in Penzance (I think we bought some eggs, actually...) I wonder if you went into my favourite baker's shop, Warrens in Penzance. They make lovely Saffron cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you were Cornish Mark - wow. Yes, it rained at the start, but a day or two later the sun came out. Yes, I did go into Warrens in Penzance. Warrens are every where in Cornwall. I did pick up some Saffron Cake when we were in Truro, but sadly had to give it my MIL as I noted when we got back to the caravan that it was made from lard. More for you I say.

      Delete
  2. Oh I loved the photos...loved them. That was quite a visit I must say, and no Mark, I didn't know you were Cornish either. Now was that a chickpea flan with onion on the lovely black metal display? Have you made something like that I wonder? Am pleased to read your MIL enjoyed the journey. Best from Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda, many more to come. I have been breaking them down in days as we did so much and so little. Its a Italian farinata or socca - I have made something similar see this link many years back. http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/spiced-aubergine-tomato-and-chickpea.html

      Delete
  3. Lovely snaps, Shaheen...Sometimes the nicest parts of trips are unplanned. Sorry about the rain, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e.
      Yes, plenty of rain - but the next lot of pictures are all sunny :)

      Delete
  4. I hope you were chanting "As I was going to St Ives I met a man with seven wives..." as you visited - that is what I keep thinking about! I went the Cornwall in sunnier days and remember visiting ST Michael's Mount but it is so long ago I can't quite remember if I walked or took a boat - I did enjoy it. The Cornish Hen looks like a cute cafe - what did you have for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny Johanna, no I did not and i am surprised my MIL did not either. One of those big veggie sausage rolls!

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a good time even if you don't get to St Michaels Mount. It looks as though the weather was pretty wild, I would have given it a miss that day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I would loved to have gone on a nicer day, maybe next time - who knows.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You