Monday, 16 May 2016

Purple Sprouting Broccoli

I am ashamed to say that I have not been in the garden gardening for over a month.  But over the weekend, with our Cornish holidays behind us.  It was time to really focus and get down and dirty.  

The weather was much cooler, so I've been weeding and clearing the ground most of the weekend.  It still feels like we have hardly made any progress in the garden, hence the reason I am not sharing any progress pictures of it today - maybe next week when I am a little more proud of my work. I am hoping to return to it next Sunday, or maybe in the evenings if we have the energy after coming in from work.  
So here is my very small harvest which I am sharing with Harvest Monday.   Its been a month since I participated in Harvest Monday which is hosted these days by Dave over Our Happy Acres.   The white sprouting broccoli has been replaced by the Purple Sprouting Broccoli.  
I harvested some earlier in the week too, whilst my mother in law was here as she accompanied us on holiday in Cornwall.  It was the first time my mother in law had PSB and she enjoyed it, saying she preferred it to the traditional green bushy head variety.  
I also came across some surprise spring onions.
Whilst gardening, one of our older neighbours called out to us and said did we want some beetroot seedlings ?!  Yes please. and Thank you very much.   

10 comments:

  1. We've had a lot of rain lately and I haven't made much progress in my garden either. I've never tried PSB but yours is lovely! I do have seeds though and plan on growing it this year for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you grow some Dave. We have had sunshine recently, but colder weather is to make a comeback.

      Delete
  2. The broccoli is pretty, but it's the garden themed mug that caught my eye, love it! Beautiful spring onions, I wish I still had some in my garden, all my onions are quite big now but not big enough to pull as bulbing onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. The garden mug, I've had it for ages, I will share the other side the next time I post for Harvest Monday.

      Delete
  3. Am so happy to read this. Glad you are getting your hands dirty and even more delighted that you were in Cornwall for Holidays (one of my favourite parts of England). Am only just back on blog. Lots of greens here I wish I could share with you but only if you share your wonderful purple sprouting broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fab to hear from you Brenda. I haven't been enjoying blogging much recently, its another world from the one five years ago. But I enjoyed being in the garden, wish D would join me more there. I'd be more than humbled to share my PSB with you, or any other veg from my garden. I will swing on by later.

      Delete
  4. Yummy PSB and great bonus spring onions Shaheen. Nice to get some free beetroot seedlings too. I'm having to re-sow them as the sparrows have been using the area I sowed them first as a dust bath :)
    I feel similalrly about my allotment...it's only just starting to how I want it to this year...still a long way to go but am making progress. Hopefully you'll get some nice evenings to work in the garden (beware midges though, I have an itchy head from late evening allotmenting!)
    Cornwall sounds brill. We had a lovely holiday there several years ago staying a few nights in St Austell and then a few nights in St Ives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou. Lovely to hear from you, so funny the sparrows got your seedlings, I don't mind the birds - its the snails that are bothering me.
      Good to know that you enjoyed Cornwall in the past too, I have soooo many pics to share still.

      Delete
  5. Ditto Michelle's comment on the mug, so cute! And I sure like the looks of the PSB from the other bloggers I've seen growing it ... but does it have to overwinter as I'm not sure it would last in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. Yes, you have to overwinter the PSB, it rewards you in the spring with its lovely purple heads. Its the only veg to have survived in my garden from slimy snails.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You