Sunday, 31 July 2016

#EatYourGreens July Round Up

Welcome to July's Round up of Eat Your Greens.  We have 6 super vegetarian and vegan recipes, all very different and all perfect for summer eating out in the garden.   
The first recipe comes from Beth who blogs over at BLT in MT with Grilled Bok Choy and Spicy Vinaigrette served with Macaraoni Yum - yes, its vegan too.  Beth has used homegrown bok choy in stir fries, but also smoothies, but she writes grilling it is perhaps her favourite way of eating it.  I will have to try this way of cooking bok choy as I never have.



The second recipe comes from Helen who blogs over at Roast Chicken and A Country Walk. Helen shared with us a Mexican Salad with Chilli Lime Dressing.  The green here comes from the buttery avocado, green chilli and zesty coriander.  I love Mexican food and this really calls to me.
Lisa from Lisa's Kitchen shared Broccoli and Chickpea Salad.    Lisa describes this as a 'earthy salad'.  I love that description - earthy, that often makes me think of beetroot, but her its 'broccoli florets with plump buttery soft chickpeas and nutty brown rice'.  That is not all, its finished off with a zesty dressing that includes pineapple juice.  Go and check it out, its perfect for summer days. 
Corina from Searching For Spice bring to the table her Courgetti Salad.  Her Courgetti Salad is enhanced further with a Middle Eastern spice Baharat  which intrigues me.  The courgetti is made easy with a spiralizer which then only takes moments to put this dish together and ready for the serving and more importantly - eating! 
My lovely co-host The Veg Hog shares with us a handsome bowl of Vegetable Jambalaya.  This is no ordinary Red and Green Jambalaya - its has smoky undertones and sweetness from local tomatoes.  The green comes from sugar snap peas and fresh pea shoots.  
And finally, my own contribution which was Strawberry, Spinach and Asparagus Salad.  
I hope you will join in this months #EatYourGreens challenge hosted by The Veg Hog

Follow this link on how to participate and then just leave a comment with a link to your blog post either here or on The VegHog's #EatYourGreens hosting page. 

22 comments:

  1. All these dishes look so healthy and delicious. I love broccoli! Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ritta. Hope you will join in one day

      Delete
  2. Lovely roundup. Lots of fine ideas here. I'll try to participate again next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, please do join in - its always lovely having one of your recipes to share

      Delete
  3. Thank you for hosting this month Shaheen! I love each and every recipe here and want to try them all! I will post August post tomorrow. Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog and look forward to seeing what August brings.

      Delete
  4. What a great round-up. And I have never had bok choi in smoothies or grilled so they are new ideas for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari, I am so pleased you have found some inspiration here.

      Delete
  5. A lovely round up! These recipes all sound so tasty and I love the sound of the pineapple juice in the dressing for the broccoli and chickpea salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corina. Yes, all the recipes have been wonderful, they may look plain but when you look closer - lots of underlying flavours to excite the mouth

      Delete
  6. Nuts, this post reminds me how much I have not been blogging. The link to this month's event is not current, so here is my contribution for the month: https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/creamy-summer-cajun-soup/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet, I will pass this onto TheVegHog later today, as she is hosting. Hope your well and thank you, I know your usually a regular contributor to EatYour Greens.

      Delete
  7. That is lovely to have a range of dishes like this - I was surprised that I did not have one dish with green veg this month - I blame winter but I can assume you there have been green veg in my kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, yes I had to double check your blog to see that I did not miss your contribution, but yes - blame winter.

      Delete
  8. Ah bok choy is probably my favourite green. I have never tried it in a smoothie though... now I'm curious ;p
    All of the recipes sound so good - but I especially like the sound of the "earthy" salad. I love broccoli and chickpeas and what better way to enjoy them than with rice. I'm interested in the dressing with pineapple!
    I'm realizing I have never participated in your challenge, despite your amazing support with Healthy Vegan Fridays.
    I would love to share my Green Goddess Bowl:
    http://rockmyvegansocks.com/green-goddess-bowl/
    Thank you for hosting this fun bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kimmy, n worries about joining in EatYourGreens though it will be a pleasure always and thank you for your kind words. The round up will be up end of the month. And yes, I agree about the earthy salad

      Delete
    2. Ah wait! I take back the recipe I shared. It's old and I have prepared a special, new recipe just for your challenge. I will post it next week and email you the link =)

      Delete
  9. I was gifted a spiralizer by a friend which I have yet to use. I am inspired to give it a go though. We've got zucchini/courgettes in the garden now. Why not?!

    Also, I didn't really think about bok choy in smoothies as being unusual. I just put whatever green we've got on hand into my smoothies and so, as they were flooding our kitchen from the garden a few years ago, bok choy found a new use! I hope others enjoy it in this way, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your zuchinni recipe with your new spiralizer - guess what I have a spiralizer too and some homegrown courgettes, i've used my spiralizer twice - was thrilled and then it went back into the box, maybe homegrown zucchini will bring it out of the box!

      And yes YOU have indeed shared with many of my readers that bok choi can be used in smoothies, you can see how many of my readers were intrigues by this. I wonder if they will try it though?!

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You