Thursday, 14 July 2016

Savoury Mosaic Polenta Cake with Black Pudding

Its been a while since I have cooked with polenta.  Its often Polenta Chips or my favourite Mexican style Tamale Pie , and then other times  maybe a gluten free Polenta Pizza, or simply as polenta bites a sort of free-style rough gnocchi. 

I wanted to be creative with this time round and decided to make a Savoury Polenta loaf studded with diced red, green and orange pepper.  Then I remembered having picked up a vegan Black Pudding and decided to incorporate that into the loaf and this was the result.     
It looks just like a gold churned butter slab or Mexican style cheese, but wait .... 
Slowly slice into it and surprise.
D loved it and said I could even try these with the vegan chorizo I make at home.  Or if you must other sausages would work too I am sure; or not, you can make this Savoury Mosaic loaf without the vegan black pudding.  Just experiment that is what I do. Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not.    

I shallow fried and served slices of this Mosaic Polenta with lightly steamed green vegetables, but a good salad would be just as nice too - the leafy greens are starting to reward us from the greenhouse.  I am sharing a slice of this Savoury Mosaic Polenta Cake with  I am sharing this with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by the beautiful Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition and Cook Blog Share hosted byHijacked By Twins.  
Savoury Mosaic Polenta Cake with Black Pudding  
Ingredients
Serves 6 as an accompaniment
Coat your 1lb loaf non stick loaf tin generously with olive oil

Optional: 1 x  vegan VPud Black Pudding, removed from packaging* 

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
1/2 orange pepper
3 spring onions, finely sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
200g Suma Ground Maize - Polenta (cooked according to packet instructions) or quick cook polenta
Water as per instructions on polenta packet
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil then saute the diced pepper for a few minutes until beginning to soften a little.  Stir in the spring onions and season to taste.  Turn off and remove from the heat.

Bring water according to packet instructions to the boil.  
It is often for 50g its 200ml - 250ml. Check instructions - this is important.
Once the water begins to bubble, slowly pour in the  polenta and whisk slowly to incorporate and thicken, as it begins to thicken, stir in the sauteed peppers and spring onions, stir well to combine.  
When the polenta is beginning to thicken and slow down in its spluttering it is ready to pour into the loaf tin.  
Pour the polenta mixture halfway, then place the Black pudding in the middle before pouring over the remaining polenta.  Leave to cool for a few minutes before transferring to the fridge to set.
This is best served a few hours later or the following day when it makes for easy slicing. 
Pan fry on each side for a few minutes before serving.

18 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty, I always forget about Polenta, thanks for the reminder! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it in the kitchen, but need to make more of it in different recipes, though I love the vegan Mexican Tamale pie i make.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a spectacular dish - I love polenta dishes but haven't had much polenta lately either - can imagine a slice of this would be great in a gluten free fry up !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. The black pudding is not gluten free as its made from gluten, but the polenta is :)

      Delete
  3. I never make polenta, the most i do with it is bake my pizza on it for a crunchy base that doesn't stick. I tried it when I was in Wales at The Hardwick and it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the pizza crunchy base trick.

      Delete
  4. That's a very clever dish - it looks so pretty, and there's an ingenious treat in the middle, what more can you ask for? I think that would make a cracking lunch with some green salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joey, yes a good green salad would be fantastic with it.

      Delete
  5. This looks amazing! We love black pudding but do not have it very often. I was delighted to find out it is now classed as a superfood. This is a must try! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty. I've never ever had the authentic meat version, but have come to love VPud - vegan version.

      Delete
  6. Woah! That's food art! Simply gorgeous. I will try to make it... but I have a feeling it won't turn out like that haha ;p
    I like the surprise middle, especially with the vegan chorizo. Dynamite idea.
    Thanks for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm pinning & sharing. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so kind Kimmy, but its def. one for dinner guests!
      I actually made some vegan chorizo at the w/e, not for this dish, only because the man in the house asked for them and they are quite something.

      Delete
  7. This is so wacky! I love it, you could hide anything in there! I'm always looking for new ways to use polenta, will definitely be trying this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so pleased you like this Amy, I am playing with Polenta and hope to share other recipes soon.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You