Monday, 4 July 2016

Red Gooseberries and Wild Strawberries

Its been almost a month since I shared progress in my garden, so I am joining in again with Harvest Mondays and sharing my wild strawberries and red gooseberries.  
These alpine wild strawberries were not planted by me or the neighbours, but by its very nature of being 'wild' and invasive they have self seeded and have been creeping from the neighbours into our front porch, not even the garden plot - winding and weaving its way in the paving slabs - I love it actually.  And they are the most sweetest berry I have ever eaten in my life, proper natural sugar berry burst. 


Whilst I was weeding at the back, I discovered, a pot of red gooseberries.  
I had forgotten about it  actually, we picked it up from a garden centre last yer and wow - look at these berries, hardly a harvest, but a unexpected present from the garden indeed. I have put the red gooseberries into a larger container, until I can decide where to give it its permanent spot. 



We and the pests in the garden have been enjoying the wet summer strawberries.  They are not as abundant as they were last year, but its better than not having them at all.   
I picked my first raspberry yesterday, but I won't have long to wait to pick a bowl full for my cereal bowl.
Now to our greenhouse.  We have a couple of tomato plants, but nothing much to show there as of yet.  This is D's courgette is growing in the greenhouse and he had been boasting at how big his it; and if you look below, that is mine sad specimen
Some lettuce and salad greens growing in the greenhouse.  The salad leaves will be ready come this weekend. 
And finally, a different view of the plot.  We erected the trellis at the back a few weeks back.  It has climbing beans tied and growing along it, except I am not that optimistic, I have a sinking feeling the slugs will get them. 
Well, that's all folks, the weeding and digging continues.  I do hope you have liked my wild strawberries and red gooseberries.  Harvest Monday is hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres.  

14 comments:

  1. Surprise harvests are really the best - and not a bad haul of gooseberries for absolutely no effort! We picked our first raspberries this week too, but unlike you we will not likely get many more from the thirsty plants. Perhaps a bit of a fall crop if I get those soaker hoses in soon.

    Your squash plant looks just like mine. I'm not losing hope just yet...the summer is only beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are Margaret.

      And yes, your right, summer is only beginning - best give things in the garden time.

      Delete
  2. It's great that the wild strawberries are so sweet. We have some here growing among the grass but they aren't very tasty. I bet your squash would like a shot of a liquid fertilizer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Dave, yes will have to give MY courgettes a squirt of the good stuff. I spied a yellow baby courgette growing in the greenhouse -----

      Delete
  3. That's amazing how well alpine strawberries are able to spread. Your raspberries are dripping with fruit, and it looks like your gooseberry produced a lot of berries for such a little plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phuong, the re d goosebrries are so so tiny. Some people see alpine strawberries as weeds, I see them as food!

      Delete
  4. your garden looks so green and abundant - love the red gooseberries! what will you do with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna - green with weeds and hardly abundant, though the things that were there before we moved in seem to be doing well. I don't know what I will do with the gooseberries, they are quite tiny, so maybe in a scone or something - not sure yet.

      Delete
  5. Because the weather has been so bad our veggie garden has not got going at all this year , so I have planted three courgette in pots on the patio .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can empathise Christine, with us its been the weather, too much time at work and not enough energy at the w/e when the sun is out. I hope your courgettes reward you and hope next year is better for you (and me too)

      Delete
  6. I love your wild strawberries! And indeed all of your berries - it looks like things are growing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kari - the things doing well, are those that grow well without me, at least they are feeding me.

      Delete
  7. Wow I love your gardens. All of those fresh berries must be great to have =)
    Are those your tights & the pink clogs in the one picture? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy, it is a mess, but where its growing its rewarding me. Yeph, I was in my work clothes when I took the pic, not the clogs though - they are for gardening!

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You