Thursday, 21 July 2016

Chilli Chocolate Salsa with Spice Herb Baked Potato Wedges and 'Meatballs'

A lot more cooler today, thank goodness - but I still didn't really want to be in the kitchen.  

I made something relatively simple: I baked these Spice Herb Baked Potato wedges in the oven. 
I was just going to serve them with some beans, but then changed my mind after finding some ready made veggie meatballs in the freezer.  To make my life easy, I decided to throw the vegetarian Quorn* 'meatballs' into the oven with the spice herb coated wedges.   
I would normally have Sriracha and D goes for brown sauce, but  I had already planned to serve these wedges with a  Salsa, but no ordinary tomato salsa.  No these potato wedges were going to be served with Chilli Chocolate Salsa.  I was prompted to make this recipe after finding a bar of Dark Chilli chocolate, so the whole meal ended up revolving around this.  Chilli Chocolate Salsa is an acquired taste.  It was devilishly rich.

This plate is further enhanced with salad greens from my garden.   
I am sharing this Chilli Chocolate Salsa with We Should Cocoa hosted by Tin and Thyme. The theme is Anything Goes. 

For the Spice Herb Baked Potato Wedges and Veggie Meatballs'
Serves 4
500g potatoes, peeked and sliced into wedges, partly cooked in boiling water, drained and rinsed.
Set aside to cool.

11/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

1 packet of Quorn meatballs* or other brand, including vegan alternative
2 - 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat oven to gas mark 5/200oc. 
In a large bow, combine all the spices, then stir in the part - cooked wedges and frozen meatballs and shake to coat well. The pour in the oil and shake to coat well.
Transfer to a baking tin and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, after 20 minutes, give it a good stir and bake for another 10 minutes before serving.

Whilst the Spice Herb Potato Wedges and meatballs are cooking in the oven, make your Chilli Chocolate Salsa.  
For the Chili Chocolate Salsa
30g dark chocolate with chilli*, broken into pieces
200g ready made tomato salsa
In a small pan, heat the chocolate and allow to melt gently, then stir in the salsa until it is well combined.
Transfer to bowl and serve
I was inspired to make this recipe by Molly over at Quiche A Week, but with tweaks.  If you don't have Dark Chilli Chocolate bar, just add 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder to the pan.
Disclaimer*I have been using Quorn products well before starting this blog, therefore this is not sponsored #Quornivore blog post, I have not been given this product free or paid by Quorn in any way. 


  1. Sounds v fancy - I could imagine this salsa being great for some non baked dish in hot weather - like a dip or a filing for a quesadilla - but glad you had some relief and a chance to bake - I made some savoury chocolate dish for dinner this week

    1. Thank Johanna. I look forward to seeing your savoury choc dish.

  2. Love the idea of a chocolate chili salsa. I'll have to try this with some homemade salsa, and other little bites. It's much too hot though to want to spend too much time in the kitchen and I dare not turn on the oven!

    1. I hope you get to make this when it is much cooler, agree it is quite warm, but the oven is better than on the stove cooking

  3. You are brave turning on the oven! That is my least favourite thing to do when it's hot, but this meal looks worth it and the chilli chocolate salsa sounds fantastic.

    1. I think the oven is better than standing over a stove top, that would be hard and I am glad I am no longer doing chef duties at the veggie place, though I do miss it. The chilli choc salsa makes a change.

  4. Ooh yum Shaheen. Devilishly rich your salsa may be, but it sounds delicious. Having made so many savoury dishes with chocolate now, I have definitely acquired the taste. I couldn't have had the oven on when we had that hot weather so as I'm making a cake today for CTs birthday, I'm very pleased that it's not at all hot. Thanks so much for sharing this with We Should Cocoa.

  5. Thank you so much for coming by Choclette. I know your so busy these days. I am pleased you like this salsa. Birthday wishes to CT, hope you have a good weekend.

  6. "Chilli Chocolate Salsa is an acquired taste." I'm not sure I agree with that. I remember the first time I had chili mole I fell in love ;) It sounds like a simple, yet decadent meal. The chocolate really adds to things. YUM

    1. Thanks Kimmy, your comments are really appreciated and giving me a boost. We in the UK have very different palettes, chilli mole would frighten many of us in the UK, honest :) But I am soooo pleased you like this.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You