Tuesday, 19 July 2016

Quick and Easy Strawberry Jalapeno Salsa

I am in Wales, a land not known for the sunshine but rain rain rain, but today it felt like I was somewhere in the Mediterranean.  I stepped out of the office onto the busy streets and honestly it felt like I had walked into a greenhouse.  

Anyway, you know what hot, clammy weather means - no energy for cooking and your appetite to eat leans more towards quick light and easy bites: such as this Strawberry Jalapeno Salsa which requires no cooking at all, even better.  
I actually made this Strawberry Jalapeno Salsa at the weekend with homegrown strawberries. The strawberries take the place of tomatoes which can either be acidic or sweet.  I have to admit, as much as I wanted to make this and experiment, I was not sure that I would like it and I could see D looking down at the bowl and thinking the same. 
Then we both tucked in with our tortilla chips and were Wooed! 

This is not the first savoury strawberry recipe I have made, I have made a Savoury Strawberry Quiche with strawberries and even Strawberry Risotto before and more recently Strawberry Spinach Asparagus Salad, so don't quite understand why it has taken me a while to make this Strawberry Jalapeno Salsa in my home. I will even go as far and say, I think I prefer this  Strawberry Jalapeno Salsa to the spicy Tomato salsa.  

 I am sharing this with and Cook Blog Share hosted by Sneaky Veg  and Hearth and Soul Hop hosted by April J Harris; and Zesty South Indian Kitchen; and  Recipe of the Week. hosted by A Mummy Too.  Anyway, what is the weather like where you are?!   What seasonal and homegrown fruit or vegetables are you tucking into?
Strawberry Jalapeno Salsa
Ingredients
1/2 green pepper, minced with a mezzaluna
250 fresh coriander, minced
1 tablespoon jalapeno from a jar, minced include some of the  juices
80g fresh s strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Mix all the ingredient well in a bowl and season to taste.
Allow to sit for a few minutes for the strawberries to soften, then serve immediately.
Best eaten on the day made and within a few hours.

19 comments:

  1. Hasn't it been stupidly hot today?! I love the sound of this salsa. I don't think I've ever made a savoury strawberry recipe before and this looks fun. Love your serving dish too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has and I am so glad it is much cooler today. I hope you like this, we LOVED it.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow - what an amazing idea! Definitely one to try. Thanks for adding to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely suited to the current weather! Hasn't it been hot? I imagine it's more of a shock to the system in Wales given you don't usually get too warm - hopefully you enjoyed the sun whilst also keeping cool, preferably with lots of this to tide you through. It sounds like a delicious twist on salsa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been ridiculously hot and yes, a real shocker for those of us in Wales - :)

      Delete
  4. I have to admit that I've never used strawberries in a savoury recipe before, but this looks so interesting and refreshing that I really must give it a try. #cookblogshare
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try this and enjoy it as much as we did.

      Delete
  5. I've never tried using strawberries in place of tomatoes but your dishes sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try this, i think you will LIKE :)

      Delete
  6. I always think that I don't like fruit in savoury type dishes, and then I see things like and I think 'yum, I need to try this!' and I'm always a convert. I think the strawberry salsa sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Joey, i never liked the idea of dried fruit in savoury, then I discovered Tagines! And it all changed, I hope you get to try this

      Delete
  7. Ooooh!! This is a combination that I would never think of but I can imagine how the ingredients work together! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually think of strawberry as a 'savoury' ingredient, but I love the sound of this! Bookmarked! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate, I totally recommend this and will make it a lot more now, esp. with homegrown strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and featuring on this week's hop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the weather does not sound too fun. Is it humid? That always saps my energy.
    This is such a unique take on salsa - sweet & spicy. I love it. And I know my husband would really love it =)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You