Saturday, 2 July 2016

Ramiro Pepper and Harissa Tomato Potatoes with Black Pudding

I do love the superman red vibrating from this dish naturally.  

Red from the tomatoes (and yes, tomatoes are a fruit) and red from the peppers.  I actually made this dish around the same time as the Ramiro pepper and Black Bean Chilli last month, 
I had originally planned to make these Portuguese Potatoes, but got distracted by the pointy red peppers  and fabulous fat tomatoes caressing each other in my bowl, that i had to throw them in the pot together - not to have done so would have just been plain wrong.  

These days I always seem to have some vegan VPud Black Pudding in my fridge too.  Every time I go into the city of Cardiff I pick some up.  I decided just to simply pan fry the slices to finish off this rather red dish. Its not essential for the recipe, but I think it makes it more of a hearty meal or bunch.  It was really quite delicious. 


The recipe makes enough for four people, but we are two people, so we had it over two days. On the first day I served it with some steamed broccoli; and the second which happened to be the weekend, we had it with a fried egg.  I am sharing this recipe with Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Searching for Spice; my co-host for #EatYourGreens is hosting  The VegHogs Tomato Festival event, so I am sharing this plate of tomato redness with her too; and finally Meat Free Monday
Red Pepper and Tomato Potatoes with VPud Black Pudding 
Serves 4
Ingredients
500g new potatoes, washed and sliced in half then boiled until tender. Drain and set aside.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped or  3 large tomatoes, chopped well
2 teaspoons or to taste harissa paste
1 red (Ramiro) pepper cleaned and sliced into pieces
100ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: VPud Black Pudding, sliced and pan-fried
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil then cook the onion until tender, stir int the garlic and cook for a few minutes before stirring in the chopped tomatoes and harissa paste.  
Cook for a few minutes for the tomatoes to breakdown, then stir in the peppers and stock and bring to a boil.  
Season with salt and pepper and reduce the heat to cook down and thicken,
When the peppers are cooked and the sauce is beginning to thicken, stir in the cooked potatoes. Warm through for five minutes before serving. 
Tweak and adjust seasoning if necessary and serve.
Top with optional slices of pan-fried vegan black pudding if you want.    

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful recipe and a lovely use of the vegan black pudding on the top! I do love black pudding but my husband is quite squeamish about it so maybe a vegan version would be the way for us to go too. Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Corina. It looked gorgeous in the plate and tasted fab too. I have never had the meat version, ever - even in my meat eating days as a child, I ate very little meat - so cannot compare, but I do def. like this version, so would recommend you get it for your husband to try. I like its hint of spice too.

      Delete
  2. This is such a comforting looking bowl. I'm quite curious about the Vpud, as I have never tried it. Thank you very much also for sharing with the Tomato Festival! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some VPud, its took me years to find somewhere when I lived in Glasgow, but now living in Wales - I find it in the city of Cardiff quite regular. So pleased you like my Tomato dish too. thanks.

      Delete
  3. Yum! This sounds delicious!! I have never even heard of vegan black pudding! What's in it? Eb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eb. Its made amongst other ingredients wheat gluten, barley and barley. But check out the link to the website which will give you more info.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You