Sunday, 10 July 2016

Simple Turmeric Potatoes with Whole Fava Bean and Carrot Chilli

We had plans to go into Bristol this weekend, but D felt we had been there too recently and didn't fancy it.  
Then our plans to go exploring elsewhere were still scuppered as the rain came spitting down, so it was to be a day indoors for yet another week.  No gardening either, so its down to a bit of housework and some cooking for the week ahead.
I wanted a change from the rice accompaniment that we normally have to this Fava Bean Carrot Chilli, so I decided to make some Turmeric New Potatoes.  

Some of you may remember the last time I made Turmeric Potatoes they were Atomic Yellow and belonged to a fictitious world far and beyond... These ones are far more acceptable to the discerning eye.  The turmeric not only imparts colour, it does impart flavour too and worked well with the Whole Fava Bean and Carrot Chilli. 

These Turmeric New Potatoes are so simple to make. I cooked 500g new potatoes with 2 teaspoons Suma ground turmeric salted boiling water.  When the potatoes were cooked, I drained the water.  I preheated the oven.  Coated the turmeric dyed potatoes in some vegetable oil, then transfered them to a baking tin.  I then crushed the potatoes lightly with a fork and then baked for 20 - 30 minutes to golden in the oven, flipping them over half way through.  Serve immediately. 

As beans and potatoes are affordable foods, I am sharing this bowl with Vegetarian Mama for Gluten Free Fridays.Credit Crunch Munch hosted this month by Lancashire Food and often co-hosted by Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food For All. ;  My Legume Love Affair #97 co-hosted by Sizzling Tastebuds and  Lisa's Kitchen;  and No Croutons Required.and the first photograph which shows moody skies from my back window with My Sunday Photo hosted by One Dad 3 Girls.

Whole Fava Bean Chilli with Carrots
Serves 6
Ingredients
150g - 160g  whole dried fava beans from Hodmedod, soaked overnight then cooked in boiling water until tender.  
Drain and set aside.

For the rest of the recipe I followed my reliable Chilli Bowl recipe but replaced the beans with Whole Fava Beans and the vegetables with carrots.  

21 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! and admittedly, I love turmeric, even in a hot drink with green tea with jasmine and ginger. So, Shaheen, this is on my list to try this coming week, and as an aside, my fava beans are ready from the dwarf plants whose name I just promptly forgot. They grow well in containers by the way. Hope your garden is growing and full of health. big hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda, Always, x always lovely to hear from you. Turmeric drinks are quite fashionable at the moment, I have a recipe for a turmeric latte to share too, its vegan too. So I hope you approve. Sadly we don't have any fresh fava beans due to me once again being so disorganised in the garden, starting work early hours and travelling an hour each way - does tire me when I get home that I have become quite lazy at the w/e, plus I need to find love for growing again, at the moment it still feels a chore, but i want to fall in love again as I once was, as that is how the blog started...Hope your well and I warmly welcome those big hugs x

      Delete
    2. Oh such a sweet and dear reply. Thank you xo Made the turmeric new potatoes last night, and of course, had to add a bit more veg as we are down by the head...even some leaves of kale near the end with fava beans. I will make this again and again. Never thought to use turmeric in the water before. Should have known you would inspire, yet again!! x

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this idea for your turmeric potatoes--can't wait to make them this week. PS: Cute moggy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gina. I hope you enjoy with whatever you choose to accompany it with.

      Delete
  3. Loving the turmeric potatoes, must give these a go! Thanks for entering #CredtCrunchMunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camilla, they are so easy!

      Delete
  4. Love the colors and looks so yummy! #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a charming little rooster! Is it a bottle? It looks to have something inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got him for a bargain, It is a bottle, but it is stuffed with chillies - more ornamental than edible.

      Delete
  6. Love this Shaheen. I have never thought of boiling the potatoes in spices before roasting. Makes perfect sense and sounds delicious! Thanks for the inspiration and the share! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. I hope you enjoy and indeed adapt.

      Delete
  7. This sounds really good! I love potatoes, so I like the idea of having them as a side to chili to switch things up. And the carrots are a nice addition to the chili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy. Me too, but need to cut down!

      Delete
  8. Lovely entry to Credit Crunch munch, love the colours of the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so my kind of food, comforting , simple, tasty and pretty healthy too. Not too mention cheap! Fab recipe!! Thanks for sharing it :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am so pleased you like it and yes, def. affordable.

      Delete
  10. this is so rustic , filling yet unique....turmeric is truly catching up outside india so much :) thanks for linking this, Shaheen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kalyani, yes turmeric is def. the fashionista ingredient of the West at the moment.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You