Tuesday, 12 July 2016

Turmeric Mango - Apricot Oat Flapjacks

These are British style flapjacks enhanced with turmeric, apricot and mango pieces. 

I don't have breakfast during the working week, so a banana, flapjack and coffee are what gets me to lunch on a working day and today was no different.  
I make flapjacks all the time and vary them wit different dried fruit or fresh seasonal fruit.  Recently its been strawberry flapjacks with strawberries from the garden, but I wanted to experiment a little.  
Turmeric seems to be trendy at the moment, so I thought I would chuck a teaspoon into my flapjacks just for a change.  Not only were the oats a golden autumn yellow, the turmeric also imparted its flavour and that was okay with me as I don't mind turmeric, but D was not overly keen on having these particular ones for his breakfast, saying that his preference was the other ones I usually make.  He thought these were more suited for a snack.
I am sharing this with Treat Petite hosted by The Baking Explorer and Cakey Boi. These Turmeric Flapjacks are so easy to make vegan, just replace the butter with a vegan alternative. Just be careful not to overcook them or under cook them.  



Turmeric Mango Apricot Flapjacks
Makes 8 - 12
Ingredients
125g butter or vegan alternative
100g golden caster sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 teaspoon Suma ground turmeric
260g rolled oats (gluten free)
80g dried pieces of apricots and mango, chopped 
Method
In a pot, melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup and turmeric.
Then stir in the rolled oats and dried fruit until well combined.
Tip into a baking tin lined with non-stick parchment or silicon paper.
Smooth the oat mixture into the tin, pressing down with the back of a wooden spoon.
Bake in the oven 180oc/Gas Mark 4 for 12 - 15 minutes.  
Score whilst still warm.
Allow to cool, before removing from the tin. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow - these are so my sort of flapjack :-) Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kari. I've been cooking with turmeric quite a bit recently. Did you see my easy peasy turmeric potatoes!?

      Delete
  2. I was totally expecting these to be full of flour. What a pleasant surprise =) Gluten-free deliciousness. I'm trying to use turmeric more as it's anti-inflammatory and all healthy n' stuff ;) These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were really nice - taken to eat on the top of the Sugar Loaf, they were a great energy boost. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sam. Your comment is very much appreciated and it means a lot. I have not been to the Sugar Loaf as of yet, we are members of National Trust so should go and check out Clytha Estate too, may do this summer now that you have highlighted this to me.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You