Sunday, 24 July 2016

Books and Bookshops in Hay-On-Wye

Yesterday we went to Hay-on-Wye, world famous for its books and bookshops. 
Quote from Dr Who
Here are a handful of photographs from yesterday, except for the one below, which I took that a year ago when it was raining and perhaps the reason I did not write much about it on my blog as photographs were lacking, not this time though.  
Murder and Mayhem
Reading Zone Only


Small Business's need You
  
I am sharing this particular photograph with My Sunday Photo hosted by One Dad 3 Girls.

This is a fabulous idea for recycling

Shelves of cookbooks!!!!
Castle Street in Hay-on-Wye
This book cover made me smile, reminded me of a University friend and yes he had red hair and his name was Steven and yes, he had a beard too.  I hope he is well, wherever he is these days.
I used to own a Penguin Books mug with Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, but that was smashed by accident by D a little while back.  I really like these Taffywood Books mugs (cards above), but I haven't found one that I like enough to treat myself to one, so I just admire them until one day one does jump out at me - though Dial 'M' for Merthyr gives me a chuckle.
Some original tiles outside a second hand bookshop.


Some of the local residents selling produce through honest boxes.  I would have picked up some rhubarb, but we had only arrived at Hay-On-Wye and I didn't want to be carrying fruit and vegetables so early on.

16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed selling in the Thursday market in Hay. A real community of stalls in a real town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, with work we won't be able to check it out weekdays, so will miss the market :( glad you loved it though.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I so love those quotes! As a librarian, writer and avid reader, I also love books and reading, which is so important on many fronts...I wish I could visit this place. It looks to have been a wonderful outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you saying e that you are a librarian :) I have to say though Hay On Wye is not the most accessible, in some places it has really old fashion access with really small pavements that barely one person can walk, let alone two - it is quite hilly too,

      Delete
    2. (Sigh) Then your lovely photos will have to do. Thanks for sharing them!

      Delete
  3. This looks like my sort of town - you are lucky to near enough to travel there on what I assume is a day trip. I love the planter drawers and I love the penguin book mugs - we have A Room of One's Own and The Big Sleep (his and hers mugs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us just under two hours to get there, so yes it was a day trip. Means we have to get up early and me not have wine the night before, or I won't get up at all...
      I have a feeling i have seen one of your mugs on your blog, unless i am imagining it.

      Delete
    2. I am sure you have seen our mugs - they have made a few appearances on my blog and in fact I am drinking from one right now :-)

      Delete
  4. It looks fantastic. Really must get round to visiting there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We visited Hay on Wye when we went to the Forest of Dean earlier in the year - it was nice to be taken back in your post and see it in sunshine vs. the drizzle we had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time we went it rained, so we didn't take many pics and I didn't blog about it, this time though - I thought I would share some of the pictures we took. D's nvr been to Forest of Dean (other than to drive through), so a day out there is on the cards one day.

      Delete
  6. I'd love to go there, you'd never drag me away from the cookbook sections :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I hope you get a chance to go there some day, maybe a long weekend!

      Delete
  7. I would have totally carried the rhubarb around for hours. I love it so much and we rarely come across it here ;p
    Such cute book shops! The only thing I like as much as vegan food is a good book or a cute book store =) We don't have any unique ones quite like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Kimmy, but we have some growing in the garden though not good :( I will have to take a look at it when i get home this evening.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You