Monday, 25 July 2016

Viva Vegan Venezuelan Black Beans with Panela

One of the reasons I wanted to make this recipe for Venezuelan Black Beans was the fact that the recipe used Panela.    Panela is unrefined whole cane sugar.  Some of you may remember that I picked up a a handsome bar of Panela (see below) when I went to the Eden Project a couple of months back. 

I'm planning a few other recipes with the panela, but if any of you have any other suggestions, please do share.  
I adapted the recipe for the Venezuelan Black Beans from Viva Vegan.  I even made the sofrito with onions and green peppers.  I am not going to type up the recipe here, even with my tinkering and will just say, go on treat yourself to the cookbook Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero; or borrow it from a friend; or your local library.  
For those of you who have Viva Vegan and have made this recipe, what did you think of it?! I would like to know. 


It was  a bit of a shock for me to eat, as this Venezuelan style Black Beans was not spicy at all, or even herby - its has sweet undertones from the Panela.  I served it with Turmeric Rice.  
 I am sharing this with Hearth and Soul Tuesday Blog Hop hosted by April J Harris; and Zesty South Indian Kitchen.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't got Viva Vegan, but I don't think I've heard of a Terry Hope Romero cookbook that everyone doesn't say is brilliant! The tumeric rice and black bean combination look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joey, its hard to choose which of the cookbooks to get from PPK gals, i'd recommend Veganomicon if you don't have it already

      Delete
  2. Sounds super delicious. I love the turmeric rice - did you use fresh or ground?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KImmy, your comments are really appreciated. I used ground, its not easy to find fresh where I live.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You