Monday, 1 August 2016

Easy Patatas Bravas with vegan Chorizo, Red Pepper and Peas

I am going to tell you something about myself whether you want to know it or not.  I don't like new potatoes that much.  I find them a bit dull, unless dressed up in a potato salad or cooked this this, pan-fried or roasted in the oven.  
I made this Spanish style dish of Patatas Bravas last week after coming back from Hay on Wye



For those of you who read my blog regular, what I didn't tell you in that blog post was we had a light lunch at a little tapas place - I am not food blogger who reviews, but it was fine - we had string beans in tomato sauce, halloumi, traditional and beetroot hummus, good bread and olive oil for dipping and a side of olives.  D said you should do this kind of tapas style food more often, its easy peasy.  

That evening when I got home, I flicked through my heavy copy of 1080 Recipes republished in 2007, a cookbook that was hailed as the bible of traditional Spanish cooking since it was first published over 35 years ago, but I have to admit, I have never cooked from it, as I found it was heavily meat and seafood orientated and guess what? I still have not. 
Anyway, the following day, I made one of the most popular recipes on my blog : vegan chorizo. I pan-fried some left over new potatoes which were originally parboiled, you could easily roast them in the oven if you wish too. There were enough spices in the homemade vegan chorizo, but for colour and a little moisture - I diced a red pepper and stirred in some peas that cooked in the heat of the steam.   

Instead of small Spanish bites of this, that and the other, I served up a good plate of food with lots of different components.  It made for a delicious lunch.  This plate of food does not need anything else, but if you want make a home made tomato sauce or if you must some ready made salsa, please go ahead. 

13 comments:

  1. Your tapas meal in Hay on Wye sounds delicious as does your one at home - makes me feel I should do a bit more tapas myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I think we all should do more tapas style food :)

      Delete
  2. This looks like a beautiful dish and I love how you've presented it. I generally only like new potatoes cold and plain, but think I'd make an exception for them in this format!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari. my husband mocked me when I presented it this way, but hey ho - what we do for blogging.

      Delete
  3. I'm shocked, I love new potatoes!! :D Although I have to admit the British ones don't have the same special flavour as the Finnish and Scandinavian ones. They say it's due to the midnight sun, which may or may not be true. Anyway, I'm a great admirer of the new potato, but mostly roast the British ones. This is a very nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is what it is, some lack flavour - even the Welsh ones recently have disappointed. New Jersey have often been good.

      Delete
  4. Can you share the vegan chorizo recipe please? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie, if you click on the links under the third image - you will find the link to the recipe. enjoy

      Delete
  5. I love patatas bravas. Strangely I told my husband we should cook and eat more tapas only the other day..... Must be a desire within the collective consciousness going on somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - must be :) Happy weekend

      Delete
  6. Yes, new potatoes can be a little boring- but this sounds like a good way to enjoy them. The plate looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You