Tuesday, 9 August 2016

vegan Strawberry, Tomato and Puy Lentil Curry

Yes, we have had Rhubarb Curry

Watermelon Curry

Peach Curry, 

and now we have Strawberry Curry.  
Strawberries in a savoury dish?!  Its actually not as terrible as you may think.  Imagine a strawberry a bit like a cherry tomato.  Its not always sweet, sometimes sharp too or sometimes both.

This is a very red curry from the tomato base, red pepper and of course the strawberries.  I made this curry a few weeks back when strawberries from my garden were abundant.  

On a different note, I'd like to share with you something that happened quite recently, I had an international company that produces tinned tomatoes worldwide contact me wanting to send me a couple of tins of tomatoes to play with and develop a  recipe for them as they were impressed by my tomato based recipes Okay I thought nothing wrong with that, as the quality and flavour of tinned tomatoes can vary, but before accepting I noted that this brand  had been in touch with other bloggers and had recompensed them financially.

As a  way to test the waters and the idea of making money from my blog, a thought that has crossed my mind a few times, but I have never pursued it in my many years of blogging.  I responded back that I was happy to do this, but they must appreciate having worked with other food bloggers that creating a recipe means additional cost of ingredients, then photographing and then blogging all takes time and I wondered if they would recompense me.  Its not a surprise at all but they never came back to me.  Something like this happened to me early in this year, when I was invited to attend a cookery class as a Thank you for creating a recipe, except when I got there I learned the other participants had all been recompensed for their recipes.   I had not expected to get paid, but the difference in treatment left a feeling of unfairness and exploitation. So I tread these waters tentatively.  
You may be interested to note that there is a company in Japan that actually sells Strawberry Curry, but it comes in a packet. I assure you this one is home made and not fruity sweet at all.  It made for a nice change from the traditional Indian style Dal.  You can even eat this curry as a Soup or stew if you want, its quite versatile.  If you don't have Puy lentils feel free to substitute it with green lentils. For more unusual Strawberry recipes see here. 

I am sharing this Strawberry, Tomato, Puy Lential and Red Pepper Curry with Sneaky Veg, Hijacked by Twins for CookBlog Share; hosted by Easy Peasy Foodie and.My Legume Love Affair that was started by The Well Seasoned Cook and now administed by Lisa's Kitchen.  this month is is hosted by Sneha Recipes. and  Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.
Strawberry, Tomato, Red Pepper and Puy Lentils
Serves 6 - 8
Ingredients
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
11/2  mild chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 x 400g tins tomatoes, chopped
1 large red pepper, cored, and diced
300g Puy lentils or puy style green lentils
100g strawberries, roughly chopped
11/2 pint vegetable stock
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan, then saute the onion and garlic until very tender, then stir in the spices and allow it to infuse for a couple of minutes, before stirring int he chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes begin to collapse.  Crush the tomatoes with the back of the spoon to help them along, then stir in the lentils and stock and cook on medium heat for 40 to 50 minutes or until the lentils are tender.  If the stock is too thick, add a little water if you wish. 
Towards the end, stir in the chopped strawberries and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasoning, before serving.

28 comments:

  1. How unusual, would never have thought of trying strawberries in a curry, but am intrigued! It looks great - I love Puy Lentils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, puy lentils is indeed the King of Lentils.

      Delete
  2. Surprising but I can see it working - after all if apples can work in a curry why not other fruit - luck you having an abundance of strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, did have a problem with pests this year though so it was a bit of a fight to get to them before them and the birds, all gone now.

      Delete
    2. Oops, but the raspberries are coming and just harvested some blueberries - not for curry though - cake this time

      Delete
  3. I love this! How inventive! I've also used strawberries in savoury dishes and they are nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, i was a little surprised it worked.

      Delete
  4. Oh heavens that sounds amazing! And I, for one, had never thought of a fruit curry! Brilliant. We actually have our second crop of strawberries coming on now....how convenient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you be brave to try it Beth, if you do - I would advise halving the recipe, this really makes loads.

      Delete
  5. That looks like an interesting combination...may try the watermelon one as well...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa, do try the watermelon one - its delicious.

      Delete
  6. I do remember having bananas in a curry once, and I definitely wasn't a fan - maybe that's why I've been a bit leery of fruit in curries! I do love strawberries, and this sounds really interesting. I'm intrigued to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think I like the idea of bananas in a curry either - too mushy, but some fruit works

      Delete
  7. I just can't imagine what this is like but I'm sure it's delicious! The closest I've come to this is an apricot curry, which was absolutely gorgeous. Must give this one a try. Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another savoury way to use strawberries! I really must have a go.Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen any kind of fruit curry before this - how interesting! I was a bit skeptical before reading about how you described how tomatoes can also taste sweet so I'm ready to give it a try lol. Really cool idea!

    We always love having you link up with us for #HealthyVeganFridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen, I am surprised to learn that you have never seen any kind of fruit curry, but good that now you know and there are so many to try. I also love joining in #HealthyVeganFridays - its one of my fave linkies to join in, honest. I feel the blogger friendly love. There is more interaction than some of the other linky challenges about, that just focus on traffic than engaging with their readers.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you like HVF! Kimmy and I love sharing the vegan blogging love. :)

      I also wanted to let you know we're featuring your curry this week!

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Mary Ellen, i will surely come by and who knows I may have another recipe to link up.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow - this is probably the most creative & interesting way to make curry I have heard of. It sounds great! I love that you used fresh strawberries from your backyard (you are seriously a domestic goddess!). I haven't tried fruit curry before, but I love strawberries, so I know I will like this. And I'm on a huge lentil kick right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy you are just too nice. Thank you. I am so pleased you like the sound of this. And No, I am def. no domestic goddess, I wish...I'm loving lentils now too and its strange as I should be tucking into Summer veg that is abundant around us this time of year, not opening my kitchen cupboards for dried pulses :)

      Delete
  11. Fruit curry? I would never have thought of that. The idea is so intriguing that I must try it! The only word I have to describe this is wow! Thank you the Healthy Vegan Fridays for making me discover this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and its lovely of you to come by via Healthy Vegan Fridays. I hope you try it, I also recommend the Watermelon Curry.

      Delete
  12. A innovative and delicious lentils and strawberry curry. Thank you for sharing at My Legume Love Affair.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You