Monday, 22 August 2016

Turmeric Butter Beans, Yellow Pepper and Yellow Courgette Stew

Last week, I was unwell, but I had to force myself to go into work as I had made a commitment to help someone who without me would not have been supported.  You see I am the only one in my office who does what i do, if I am not there, no one will pick up the work I do.  Yet we are all replaceable when they don't need you.  I was happy I went in though, as the person I supported gave me a biggest and warmest hug and her little one gave me a bonus hug, I don't get many thanks in my job, so it really mean't a lot to me.  

Anyway, I was glad when the weekend came, but it wasn't as relaxing as I wanted as it was D's turn of not feeling well. 
We have not done anything this weekend and both stayed indoors nursing sniffles, scratchy throats and sore heads.  I had wanted to do some gardening, but as well as poor health, the weather scuppered that too.  The sky turned proper grey and the rain fell, falling from the sky in all direction encouraged by the gusty gale force winds.

I had managed to go out and pick some homegrown yellow courgettes from the garden plot.  I know its Summer and a time for light salads, but as we were feeling a little groggy we both wanted something a bit warming and this golden bowl of yellow Courgette Butter Bean stew, is a little bit of sunshine in a bowl and that can only cheer you up a little.  
If it is just too sunshine yellow for you, then feel free to stir in some greens like spinach or chard.   

I am sharing this with a Kitchen Clearout hosted by Madhouse Family Reviews as the yellow pepper had been in the fruit bowl for a while and needed using up.
Yellow Courgette, Turmeric Butter Beans and Yellow Courgette Stew 
Serve 6
160g Suma Butter Beans, soaked overnight and then cooked , drained ans set aside

2 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced
3 - 4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon Suma ground Turmeric 
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon chipotle chilli flakes or 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 yellow peppers, cored and chopped as you wish
4 yellow courgettes, sliced into coins or half moons
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 200g baby spinach
1 - 1/1/2 pint vegetable stock
Heat the oil, saute the onion and garlic until very soft, then stir in the tomato paste and spices.
Then stir in the peppers and saute before stirring in the butter beans, courgettes and stock.
Allow it to bubble for a few minutes, before turning it down to a simmer.
Cook until the butter bean are really really soft and the courgettes just about to fall apart.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Optional: Stir in greens if using until they have begun to wilt.
Optional: For a slightly thicker stew, remove about a ladle of the stew and blitz to a puree, return to the pot and bring to a simmer before serving. 
Serve with a good sourdough or crusty bread or eat with a spoon straight from a bowl. 
As a member of Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months to use in recipe development and blog original recipes for the Network. 
Other Turmeric Recipes on my Blog 


  1. Looks right up my street. Sorry you've both been poorly. Overheard of tomato soup cake? Take a look online and at mine, I think it could be veganized...

    1. Thanks e. Much better, but not 100%, partly because I don't like my work environment much. Do like my job though. Anyway, would love you recipe of Tomato Soup Cake, I think you mentioned it before but I could not find the link, would be grateful if you shared and I'd give it a whirl.

  2. Ooh are you supposed to keep peppers at room temperature? I always keep mine in the fridge but they go mouldy quickly so the fruit bowl would probably be a better option. I love the look of this dish - lots of fresh ingredients and the vibrant colour is very appealing. Thanks for linking up to #KitchenClearout and hope you're feeling better now :)

    1. I always keep my peppers out, I guess its not as warm here where I am compared to where you are Cheryl. Thanks for the warm welcome

  3. I love butter beans...this looks delicious...

    ~Have a lovely day!

  4. I normally like lots of colors in my bowl, but your collection of yellow ingredients is very appealing to me. I can see where the stew would be especially comforting if you are not feeling well.

    1. Always fab to hear from you Andrea.

  5. Glad you are appreciated in your job. It's important to be thanked, at least once in awhile =)
    I like a good butter bean recipe! And how could the dish be too sunshiny???

    1. Thanks Kimmy, sadly its not always the case - just now and again, so it means a lot when I am shown appreciation.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You