Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Turmeric Lemon Courgette Orzo

The next few weeks my blog will at least twice a week feature a recipe made with courgettes aka the summer zucchini.  

The reason, its in season - but mostly I have so much of it coming from the garden. 
I've made a few courgette recipes, so will share them later, but today its Turmeric Lemon and Courgette Orzo.  Its not much of a recipe, as I eye-balled everything.  I began with 250g orzo pasta and 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric to the rolling boiling water.  The ochre yellow turmeric dyes the rice shaped orzo pasta whilst cooking.  

The yellow courgettes are quartered and then sauteed in olive oil and minced garlic, I decided to continue with the yellow theme.  And added in some diced yellow pepper and sweetcorn from a tin and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.   
The final touch was drizzling over some good oil, I used Welsh Blodynn Aur Rapeseed Oil, but a good extra virgin olive oil would be fine too.  Then finally I squeezed some fresh lemon juice to taste.

I am not one for reading novels, but I recently picked one up called The Kitchen Congregation by Nora Seaton, perhaps it the fact that the story evolves around the kitchen that it appealed to me.  Well I am a very slow reader, but I want to share an excerpt that made me think and grateful that I have D in my life.

 'The pasta is ready, the sauce is ready, but my appetite is poor.  I like to cook alone, but I don't like to cook only for myself.  It was the process that fed me'.  



Optional: snip some fresh chives to the Turmeric Lemon Courgette Orzo Pasta.  This dish was made for our working lunch.   For a change I was able to eat it outside as the sun has been shining. So I walked on over to the little bit of green in the town centre with a friend and ate it al fresco in the sun.  The recipe makes enough for 4 people. I loved it.  I love how the silky smooth orzo just slid down your throat effortlessly.   Although the colour was a little loud for D and he was a little nervous of dropping some on his lovely white working shirts, he liked it too. 

Do you have courgettes coming the allotment plot or your back garden? What cooking plans do you have for them?!  I am sharing this recipe with  Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads; Recipe of the Week hosted by A Mummy Too; and Munchies and Munchkins for Eating Al Fresco.

10 comments:

  1. That looks delicious...and I think I may have a partial box of orzo in the cupboard too...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa
      PS I will come by later this week, been really busy with work - so glad its the weekend.

      Delete
  2. I love how gorgeous and cheery this yellow stew is - I love using zucchini or courgettes but mostly green so the yellow looks really lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, yes cheery indeed. One of the reasons I love growing veg when I do, is you can grow those varieties you never see at the markets - but no purple cauliflower from my garden this year.

      Delete
  3. I love yellow courgettes - just seeing their sunny colour makes me happy! I'm glad they've found their yellow counterpart with the turmeric too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey. Yes plenty of mellow yellow in this dish

      Delete
  4. I love summer squash! Excited to see all of your recipes! I never heard them called courgettes before but I really like that name.

    This orzo looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so much of it right now Mary Ellen that I am looking for inspiration and new ways to enjoy it. I made an Anglo Indian Ratatouille early in the week, that I will share over the weekend. Yes, we Brits call them courgette, I actually like the Italian Zucchini, so much more heart goes into saying zucchini :)

      Delete
  5. It's so golden and gorgeous! Great way to use up zucchini.
    I like the quote from the book you shared. I cook for myself much of the time since I don't work and my husband does, but I enjoy cooking more for both of us and the food actually tastes better =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy, like that you enjoyed the quote it humbled me. I am such a slow novel reader, so have another quote to share from the book later. Thanks.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You