Sunday, 28 August 2016

Garam Masala Turmeric Courgette Dal Soup

For those of you who grow vegetables, no doubt you are in undated with courgettes aka zucchini. Do get yourself the cookbook What Will I Do with All Those Courgettes?!  Saying that though, its done me no good today as I couldn't find my copy and am still in the process of looking for it.  The last time I saw it was when we lived in Scotland and now of course, my home is in Wales.  

Anyway, I ended up making a simple Dal recipe with the addition of courgettes from my garden plot. 
I still have a very sore throat from last week and i keep losing my voice now and again, so wanted something soothing and a little spicy.  Plus its been raining on and off - yes typical of a long Bank Holiday weekend.  
Yes I know this is really a Dal, that you eat with roti, chapatti or naan bread, but I like to enjoy it like a soup with a big spoon and some crusty bread, there was definitely something about it that made me feel well.  It was also really yummy and hit the spot.   I wasn't going to make a point of the turmeric in the Dal, as most South Asian Dal recipes include this ingredient, but I liked how the turmeric dyed and flavoured the courgette pieces.



Some of you will know that I am not one for reading novels, but I picked a novel called The Kitchen Congregation: A Memoir by Nora Seaton, a story evolves around the kitchen.  I also mentioned that I am a very slow reader.  I am on chapter 6 engrossed by Senta's Soup which unlike my soup is made with barley grains, bulgar, chickpeas, wheat berries and rice, but one thing we have in common - both are restorative.  I am sharing this with  Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchenand Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads; and Gluten Free Fridays hosted by Vegetarian Mama
As a member of Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months to use in recipe development and blog original recipes for the Network. 
Garam Masala - Turmeric Courgette Dal
Serves 4
Ingredients2 tablespoon s olive oil
2 medium onions, finely minced
2 garlic clove crushed
1 teaspoon ginger grated
1 teaspoon garam masala plus extra for garnish from Suma Wholefoods
1 teaspoon curry powder from Suma Wholefoods
1/4 teaspoon turmeric podwer from Suma Wholefoods
200g red lentils, washed and rinsed
1 1/2 pints water or vegetable stock
2 courgettes, quartered or grated (its up to you)
Salt to taste
Method
Heat oil in a wide pan, then saute the onions until very soft, then throw in the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for a couple of minutes for the onions to be coated well by the spices.
Stir int he red lentils and water and bring to a boil.  
Reduce the heat and cook for 20 -  30 minutes until the lentils swell and fall apart.
Taste and adjust seasoning and spices if necessary, then stir in the courgettes and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Ladle into bowls with optional scattering of garam masala

16 comments:

  1. Ooooh thanks for this! Yes, I'm getting a little tired of coming up with new ways to cook the zucchini (courgettes). This looks perfect for the cooler evenings we're expecting next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I do like homemade soup and this is a good way to use up glut vegetables.

      Delete
  2. I like this summer soup. It makes me want to make soup again after a long while, so comforting and good use for those courgettes. I'm rather lucky with my one flat pattypan squash plant, as it doesn't produce too much and I harvest the courgettes/squashes when they are small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veghog. I do like Patty Pan Squash and hope to grow some next year, just need to be more organised.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you are unwell but I agree that dal is great comfort food and restorative - I don't have zucchinis coming out my ears but I would love a bowl of dal - hope it does the trick and you are better soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    That soup is right up my street, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its an on going problem with my throat - I will need to get it checked out, concerning me now as its been a few weeks. Thanks for the warm wishes.

      Delete
  5. That book sounds like a great read for people that love zucchini (like me!). Your recipe looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been inundated with courgettes, and I've not even been growing them - there's been a wave of them hitting my veg box delivery and I've been wondering what to do with them. Now I know! First step - make the soup, second step - find the cookbook! Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, yes I can imagine the veg box overflowing with them too, make vegan pakoras aka onion bhaji'too, very tasty!
      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/courgette-pakoras-in-spicy-tomato-sauce.html

      Delete
  7. I hope you're feeling better! I'm sure this soup helped! It sounds really good and comforting. Like eating a hug =)
    Thanks so much for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays. I'm pinning & sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this soup! What a fabulous way to use up zucchini for sure. Hope you are feeling much better.

    Thank you for sharing your soup with Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen this week too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb I hope to join in again now that your back I had not realised that until recently I am much better but am left with a niggle in my throat.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You