Friday, 5 August 2016

Easy Summer Chia Hibiscus Cooler

Ah its the start to the weekend and in contrast to the past couple of days that called for bowl food, this late afternoon the sun has come out all shining with an invitation to go out, doss and sit in the garden sipping something to welcome that chillax (chill and relax) Friday Feeling.

Today for the crazy kids we have non-alcoholic cocktails aka mocktails and coolers .  This is no ordinary cooler, it is made from edible flowers and chia seeds. 

This is a refreshing and lovely tasting still drink with a fantastic colour and a gentle sweetness.  I had half expected the chia seeds to be suspended in the air, but they sunk to the bottom. 

I am sharing this with  Sunday Fitness and Food Fitness hosted by Marathons and Motivation and Ilka's blog; and Munchies and Munchkins for Eating Al Fresco as I drunk one of these bottles of Summer Chia Hibiscus Cooler in the garden whilst weeding and picking some vegetables.

Chia Hibiscus Cooler For two glasses
2 tablespoons dried hibiscus flowers, rinsed of grit
1 pint hot water
2 tablespoon sweetener, I used agave syrup, buyou could use maple syrup, date syrup or honey
1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
In a heatproof jug, place the hibiscus flower, the sweetener and hot water.
Allow to sit for a few hours, then when cool strain and remove and the hibiscus flower,
Tweak and adjust sweetness if necessary
Stir in the chia seeds and transfer to the fridge.
Leave overnight or a few hours.
Give it a good stir , serve and drink.  


  1. I am glad the weather has improved, I am coming to Wales tomorrow to spend a week on the coast and I am very exited.

    1. Thanks Laura, its been a lovely weekend - hope you enjoy your time on the coast. We went into Bristol yesterday and today are being lazy, unless you call house chores not being lazy. Take care

  2. This sounds amazing!! My kids love the Very Berry Hibiscus Cooler from Starbucks and this sounds similar, so I can not wait to make it for them!! Thanks so much for linking up, Have a Great Week!! :-)

    1. Thanks Angela. I didn't know that Starbucks made something similar, I actually like the idea of the berry fruit in it -- maybe for next time, instead of the chia seeds

    2. I like the idea of Chia Seeds too! I am going to try and make this today :-)

    3. I'd like to see if your chia seeds suspend in the liquid, mine sadly did not :(


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You