Saturday, 13 August 2016

Savoury Turmeric Nasturtium Fluffy Pancakes

I wanted pancakes as a change from our normal weekend Veggie fry up for breakfast, but it was just a thought, nothing concrete.  Then I saw Johanna who blogs over at Green Gourmet Giraffe had made some sweet Nutella pancakes a couple of weeks back and it was decided.  

Pancakes it was, but not sweet -  I ended up making savoury fluffy pancakes enhanced with ground turmeric and lily pad shaped nasturtium leaves.  Whoever said 'Nasturtium flowers have bite', were spot on.   I did not sow any nasturtium , they self seeded from last year.  I don't mind I like them and it brings in the bumbling bees, though I have not seen many of them.   But I don't let them self-seed for altruistic reasons, I actually like growing and eating them, especially the more colourful variety, though I seem to have no fiery red ones this year.  I also like the mustard like peppery tang of the edible flower and often just use the to garnish salads.  For those of you who have never tried nasturtium leaves the closest thing I can compare them to is rocket salad leaves. 
Anyway, I have to admit  though these Turmeric Nasturtium Pancakes were not served for brekkie.  I ended up having a bowl of cereal that morning.  No we ended up eating these golden discs as a light bite after a bit of weeding in the front of the house and lawn mowing.  It was such a bother, that it made me think I am a vegetable grower, I am not a green lawn or  pretty flower rose garden kind of person, though I do appreciate them.  I am more happier if I know I can eat the flowers, leaves and seed pods.
These Turmeric Nasturtium Pancakes are based on my Cherry, Raspberry and Strawberry Pancakes.  Its actually the same recipe, I just omitted the sugar, added some ground turmeric and in place of the berries are the peppery leaves.  I appreciate that not everyone may have nasturtium flowers and leaves growing int heir garden, so I am offering a substitute here and these are soft herbs, they will be just as pretty.  Take a look at these Tattoo Herb Potatoes.  

 I  served these Turmeric Nasturtium Pancakes with a good dollop of spicy tomato chutney.  

I am sharing this with  Sunday Fitness and Food Fitness hosted by Marathons and Motivation and Ilka's blog;  and my first time linking with Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads. 
Other Turmeric Recipes on my Blog 

Turmeric Nasturtium Pancakes
Makes a lot - sorry lost count as we were eating them as they off hot from the pan
1 egg
140g self raising flour, 
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
150ml -160ml milk
g naturtium leaf (or herbs of your choice: basil, coriander, parsley)
Oil for the frying pan
Optional: flowers for serving
In a large bowl, whist the egg, then sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and turmeric.  
Whisk to form a thick batter, then pour in the milk slowly to form a smoother batter without lumps.
Leave to sit for an hour.
When ready to eat, heat a tablespoon of oil in a large non stick frying pan.
Using a tablespoon drop 1 - 2 tablespoons onto the hot oil in the pan.
Carefully drop a nasturtium leaf over the top of the batter, cook until bubbles start appearing on the surface, then flip over and cook on other side until golden and puffy.
Continue doing this until all the batter is gone.
Best served warm. If you have any leftover, they can be microwaved.
Adapted from this recipe


  1. I absolutely love the idea of a savory pancake and this recipe sounds Fantastic!! Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up :-) I have pinned this recipe and look forward to trying it!!

    1. Thank you Angela. I am so pleased you like.

  2. Lovely - we had pancakes for breakfast yesterday and I tried making one gold with turmeric but Sylvia not so interested in the taste! I like the idea of having them savoury - can imagine these would work with a tofu scramble

    1. Ah maybe she would have been impressed if they were green :) Yes, I think these would be fab with tofu scramble

  3. Ooooh, these sound awesome! I used to grow nasturtium for their edible flowers. I'll have to plant some next year.

    1. Thank you so much Beth. I am so pleased that you will grow some next year, even though they are a little invasive - I do like them

  4. I absolutely adore savoury pancakes and these sound wonderful. I also grow and eat nasturtiums. I like having some flowers on the balcony to attract the bees.

    1. Thanks you VegHog, I know I have seen pics of your lovely balcony and nasturtiums. I love to eat them, but also for the bees

  5. Beautiful and brilliant! I so love savory pancakes! These kind of remind me of Asian scallion cakes ... so much prettier! Good on you!

    1. Thank you so much Susan. Yes, Asian scallion cakes, sadly they are not so popular here :(

  6. I've never had nasturtium... I'm not sure I've had rocket leaves either.
    I appreciate the substitution =) I am quite enjoying adding turmeric to things lately. It's so good! These are so pretty too!

    1. Kimmy, you must have had rocket salad leaves, I am sure of it. I've more turmeric recipes to share.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You