Saturday, 20 August 2016

Curried Anglo Italian Fenugreek Ratatouille

I hope you don't mind me sharing a recent observation when I was waiting to get the bus back home from work.

I start with a statement.  I think chivalry is dead or taking its very last dying breaths.  I had faith it was still alive in the older gentlemen but not now.  I waited to get my bus home and noted post European Union Referendum some attitudes have changed overtly in peoples behaviours, most recently in the older generation.   As not one, not two, not three but four older men of Pensionable age rudely cut across me to get on the bus.  I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they feel their age and free bus pass entitles them to be rude... I hope so, but if its their  skin colour we certainly have problem Britain and this is only a small glimpse.  So what was my response?  I politely smiled at them and said, 'plenty of seats on the bus'. 
Anyway, its that time of the year when vegetable growers find themselves with bucket loads of courgettes aka Zucchini, in fact my last three blog posts have all featured courgettes.

So what am I going to do with all those courgettes? Make some Ratatouille of course.  
Regular readers will know that I am not keen on Ratatouille.  Last year I decided to give it a go again and still I was not sold.  Last weekend I thought why not spice it up a bit.  I saw fellow blogger Sareta's Kitchen make and was inspired to give it my own South Asian twist - Indian, Pakistan and Bangladesh all rolled into one.  Here it is my Curried Anglo Italian Ratatouille with fenugreek and chickpeas. 
Of course, I had to present it prettily, it takes a little time but its worth the effort when you want to make an impression. You could serve this with plain Basmati rice if you want, but some good crusty bread is what we had.  


So how was it?  I really liked it.  If ratatouille was served to me like this I would enjoy it more. Yes we British people Love Fusion Food.  Yes - we do, really - when people think of the stereotype British, they often think Cup of Tea, Well Tea was perhaps amongst the first fusion food imported from overseas to Britain.  
I am sharing this recipe with Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Searching for Spice; and Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition. and CookBlog Share; hosted by Easy Peasy Foodie and Sunday Fitness and Food Fitness hosted by Marathons and Motivation and Ilka's blog; and Eat Your Greens hosted by my co-host The Veg Hog.  

Curried Anglo Italian Ratatouille
Serve 4 - 6
Ingredients
4 tablespoons oil
2 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 - 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, your choice on heat strength
1/2 teaspoon  groundTurmeric
1 tablespoon Garam Masala

Optional: 60g of fresh fenugreek leaves, minced or 1 tablespoon of dried
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
Optional: x 1x 400g tinned chickpeas, drained
Salt to taste

Olive oil
4 courgettes, green and yellow if possible, sliced into thick coins
2 aubergines, sliced thickly
Salt to taste

1 red pepper, diced
Method
Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil, then saute the onion, after a few minutes stir in the garlic until tender, stir in the spices to taste, then stir in the chopped fenugreek leaves and cook until it begins to wilt.  Then stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook on medium heat until thick and broken down to a thick sauce and the oil begins to come to the surface.  Stir in the optional chickpeas, simmer for a few minutes, taste and adjust seasoning.  Then turn off heat.
Transfer the chickpea tomato sauce to a large baking dish.
Set aside to cool.

In a baking tray, in single layers layer the courgettes and aubergines, grind over a little salt and coat with oil and roast in oven for 15 - 20 minutes until beginning to soften not roasted, turn over half way through. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

When the aubergine and courgettes are cool enough to handle, carefully layer and overlap as you wish over the curried Chickpea Tomato base until all the vegetables are used up.
Scatter over the diced red pepper and drizzle extra olive oil. 
Transfer to oven and bake in the oven gas mark 4/180oc for 40 - 45 minutes until tender.
Serve immediately with crusty bread or if you want to make more of a hearty meal, perhaps some rice.

18 comments:

  1. I have to say I also sometimes find ratatouille a little bland but a fusion ratatouille would certainly be something I'd enjoy too! I actually have some dried fenugreek leaves in the cupboard but I haven't used them for ages so this might just be something I'd love to try. I also discovered today that my daughter will now eat chickpeas so that's definitely a reason for me to try more recipes using them. Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corina, I love fenugreek - prefer it fresh, but dried works well too when I want that distinct flavour. Good your daughter now eats chickpeas, its one of my fave beans and got me through university, I was more a chickpea gal than a baked beans person

      Delete
  2. Although I've never tried fenugreek I really like the sound of this weather it's served with bread or rice. Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, I hope you can find some to try, its a very distinct flavour

      Delete
  3. Oh, Shaheen that's really sad. I really do hope you don't experience any more of that kind of behaviour. Your ratatouille, on the other hand, looks fab! I love what you have done with it. It's interesting what you say about fusion food - I have recently blogged about how I love fusion food and how I love the fact that so many of our favourite 'British' foods are in fact fusion foods. I was tasked with creating a dish with the theme 'Best of British' and I made Turkey Tikka Masala Meatballs. As I think one of the best things about Britain is when we embrace other cultures - both the food and the people. Britain would be a poorer country if we all looked and sounded the same - and I for one wouldn't want to eat meat and 2 veg every day!! Thanks for linking up to #cookblogshare! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eb, Indeed it is, I am quite a strong person and can stand up for myself and have had to on many occasions, but I do wonder about other vulnerable people.

      I love that you recently blogged about fusion food, and yes Turkey Tikka Masala sounds very Indo Brit!

      Delete
  4. This is a beautiful dish! I'm sorry for the lack of respect you experienced, and I think sadly, that you are right about the racism, too. It is easy and stupid and toxic to categorize people as "foreigners," and blame them for the problems created largely by political policy and bad governance by those only interested in promoting themselves. I wish I had some word of advice for you but I can only offer the hope that people will begin to understand where the fault should lie for these ideas and that they will change. We seem, as the world, to be going backward in many respects and that is frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e. Its okay, I am more concerned about those people who are a lot more vulnerable than me, I am quite a assertive person, I have had to learn to be - something some people like others don't. You are so right, we do seem to be going backwards in many respects but sadly some people think going backwards was the good old days, they forget...what the country is built on

      Delete
  5. I'm afraid your experience with the older gentlemen is all too common. My husband and I are in our sixties and have recently been becoming more and more appalled by the behaviour around us, especially yhose in our own age group. Everyone seems to be getting ruder and more selfish, and whilst a few years ago we might have expected the older generations to be above such things there now seems to be an 'everyone for themselves'attitude. I don't think it is primarily post referendum, or an attitude to skin colour. We live, by chance, in an area favoured by retirees where there are comparitively few black or Asian residents. Peoples' behaviour is equally pushy. Recently, we've seen a couple lie about a table reservation in a crowded restaurant (and congratulate themselves when they thought no-one could hear). My husband was nearly knocked over by another man in a queue at a stately home of all places, and a friend had a similar bus experience to your own. The referendum certainly hasn't improved things, but as older people who voted remain we certainly find that the result echoes the changes we were already seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jee, so lovely to hear from you. I know you visit regularly and I am thankful for your loyalty. It is sad and to hear you echo that you have seen something similar in your area, does sadden me. Yes, people are getting more ruder and selfish, what happened....I agree those behaviours existed before the EU Ref, but it seems a lot more overt now and people feel comfortable exhibiting those prejudices. But I have hope, not everyone is like that and that makes me happy.

      Delete
  6. It's sad (and really annoying) to see people being so rude. You handled yourself really well. When these sort of things happen I try to just focus on positive thoughts (thought it's hard sometimes).

    Your ratatouille looks delicious! I have never heard of fenugreek leaves before - you've introduced me to another new food word!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for #HealthyVeganFridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen, I agree try to focus on the positive stuff. Glad you like the sound of this ratatouille. You must try and find some fresh fenugreek, its a very distinct flavour, you'll either like it or not, but do try it.

      Delete
  7. Unfortunately as an European immigrant I've had some unpleasant encounters ever since the referendum as well, and such things never happened before here. It's quite appalling and I really hope that this will change for the better soon...

    Well anyway, thank you for sharing the recipe with Eat Your Greens and this is a very interesting take on ratatouille. I'm sure I would like this version, as regular ratatouilles tend to bore me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that you have had some unpleasant encounters too.

      So funny that you also find regular ratatouille boring too.

      Delete
  8. Ah! Now here is a fusion! What a creative combo. I actually enjoy ratatouille, although despite liking the traditional version, I think I would like to switch it up and try your way of preparing it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy. Wow, your the first person who has confessed to liking ratatouille, makes me smile. I guess if made well, it can be appreciated, but i always find it too soft like baby food

      Delete
  9. This sounds wonderful! I'm excited to try it, so I can use some of the veggies from my garden as well :-) thanks for joining the Link-Up, Have a Great Week!! Pinned this recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. Still got loads of courgettes coming from the garden, more fingerlings now

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You