Monday, 29 August 2016

Small Harvest for Bank Holiday Monday

I have very little to share with Harvest Monday, but whatever I have harvested I am thoroughly enjoying and I am pleased enough with them to share with you.  
First of the cherry tomatoes from the greenhouse.  
They did go in very late, but we will have some homegrown tomatoes to enjoy.
 Picked a handful of runner beans that have been enjoyed as a side dish.
The courgettes are still coming along, and we have been enjoying them almost every day this week in dishes such as Courgetti Pasta,Courgette Cauliflower Couscous 
 South Asian style Ratatouille
 Yellow Courgette Orzo Pasta
  Courgette Dal Soup
 Yellow Courgette Stew 
Some of you may remember that I mentioned that D had stuck some courgettes in the greenhouse.  Well these are those courgettes, overgrown and producing mostly flowers.  He won't be doing that again.
The raspberries are coming along too, but not as many as we had last year; and the birds get to them before we do. 
And finally I picked a load of plums at the weekend. The one benefit of the downpour of rain over the weekend was being stuck at home home and in the kitchen meant that I was able to make a few recipes with it including Plum Jam.  I will share the others next week. 
And the plums are still coming.  I am sharing this post with  Harvest Monday is hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres ;

22 comments:

  1. Lovely harvest Shaheen :) I'm still waiting for a ripe tomato and a courgette, sigh, hurry up garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. You like me were late sowing and planting stuff, esp. with you home move - but you have done fantastically - this time next year your garden will be thriving.

      Delete
  2. Those are some beautiful plums you have there! And I love the sound of all those dishes you've been making. I really need to make some ratatouille while I have the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dave. I'm cooking up a storm in the kitchen with the plums; I will be giving some away too - way too many for us.

      Delete
  3. I would love to have a plum tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome to some of my plums Kim, they are tumbling down.

      Delete
  4. Nice harvests and you are getting good use of it all. I love plum jam and homemade is best. I remember as a kid sneaking into an abandoned, overgrown orchard and picking a bag of red plums. My mother made it into plum jam, best I ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Yes, plenty of plum jam and so far two cakes!

      Delete
  5. We're waiting for a tropical depression and lots of rain and wind...I'll be thinking of you wonderful soups and stews. Had a mango today and thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e, hope the weather is not to daunting - as I said before, stay warm stay dry and stay safe. Mango - yay!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Your backyard looks great. Tomatoes are so great. And runner beans! You really have a green thumb =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy, my green thumb has let me down over the years I am slowly getting back into it though, but the weeds just bring me down

      Delete
  7. Your courgettes are doing fantastic and those plums look so good. The Dal soup and stew look delicious, they make me think of autumn and the hope of cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phuong. Autumn is not far off, but the summer season is teasing us here in the UK - it was raining over the weekend, and today its blooming sunshine

      Delete
  8. Mmm, delicious ways to use courgettes and the plum photo is lovely. I think I need to add butterbeans to my planting list for next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda, I am hoping to grow some broad beans next year, my husband loves them fresh and I am sad for him that I did not grow any this year

      Delete
  9. Lots of great squash recipes - they all look delicious! Around here, disease usually takes down the tomato plants later in the season, so I'm thinking that a late planting is actually not a bad thing. You may very well be harvesting tomatoes long after other gardeners plants have been pulled up.

    Plum jam is one of our favourites - in fact, I went to the trouble of making our meagre plum harvest this year into 1.5 jars of jam. The kids were very excited :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. What a good idea about the tomatoes, i had not thought of that. Oh shame about your 1.5 jars of jam, you would have been most welcome to take some of our from us, for a swap of veg of course! :) Gimme some of your tomatoes!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the first cherry tomatoes! That South Asian style Ratatouille looks and sounds delicious. And all of those plums must be delicious too! We planted some plum trees this year, so maybe someday I will have a plum harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie :)
      I hope your plum tree will reward you in the future, we also have a apple and pear tree - but neither has ever given us fruits, one of them will be dug out sadly.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You