Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Street Vegan: Maple Mustard Glazed Seitan Strips

I have been oggling Adam Sobel's Maple Mustard Glazed Seitan Strips for a few good months now.  The awesome recipe can be found in his cookbook Street Vegan.  Every time I have gone to make these vital wheat gluten seitan breakfast strips, I have noted ingredients missing from my kitchen, first it was mustard, then tofu and then celery!

Well this weekend, I was determined to make them and ensured I had every thing I needed to create them in my kitchen.  I do like to dabble with recipes, but sometimes I have to respect the recipe author and follow the recipe word for word and I pretty much did here.  By the way this is the second recipe from the book, I made Adam's French Lentil Soup a little while back. 
From the photograph, the Seitan strips appear too dark, but these are a little naughty as these have been shallow fried before being coated in sweet grainy mustard glaze.  There is also a hint bitterness from the molasses.  I liked how the mustard seeds popped in my mouth, but I didn't like them sticking between my teeth. There is also plenty of bite, chew and texture - its like eating meat but without eating meat, if that makes sense - it will to vegetarians and vegans. 



D who is vegetarian by association (though he does eat fish and seafood on those rare occasions we go out to eat) really really loved this and said he would be happy if I made it again, but I am planning on making other recipes from Street Vegan, after all I didn't pick the cookbook up just to flick through (though I have been guilty of that in the past).  This year I am making an effort to cook from them. 
We have had the seitan strips over the weekend first with a light green salad, then the following two days in a Oriental style Noodle Bowl that also had edamame beans and Chinese cabbage.  It worked pretty well.  The recipe suggests the glaze can be changed for a spicier one, I may do this next time - bring on the Sriracha bottle!  I am linking this with Cooking Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking Foray.  You may be interested to note that I am hosting The Vegetarian Library challenge launched early this month, follow this link to find out more. 

14 comments:

  1. Kudos to you, Shaheen! Not only have you created a meal you've waiting so long to share but, you are also making good use of that cookbook too!!!

    I have so many cookbooks that I would like to actually cook from; some day, perhaps:)

    I'm not a vegetarian but, I do indulge every once in a while and your Seitan Strips are quite tempting.

    Thanks so much for sharing, Shaheen...You might be interested in an event Joyce from Kitchen Flavours is having. It includes cookbooks AND cooking from them! Here's the link;

    http://mycookinggallery.blogspot.my/2015/12/cookbook-countdown-new-cookingbaking.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. I am hoping to do the same with those bookmarked recipes from magazines and blogs too. Thank you so much Louise for letting me know about the Cookbook Countdown - I have joined in, by the way I am doing one myself called The Vegetarian Library. Hope you will join in one day.

      Delete
    2. HI Shaheen!
      I'm so glad you're going to do the Cookbook Countdown. I'm hoping to be able to do it at least once myself.

      Your event sounds inviting. Keep me posted:)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Louise. I certainly will.

      Delete
  2. I'll leave the sriracha to you shaheen but I do love the book - have borrowed it and must give it back soon - have also tasted a friend making one of the recipes - might be this one but with tofu which I loved. So good to hear you are a fan of the book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna - happy to take all the sriracha!
      So pleased you got the cookbook from the library - hog it for as long as you can. yes, I know Veganopolous made a tofu - GF version for potluck, but also this version when she reviewed the cookbook, hers were healthier than mine as I thank she air dried her seitans strips. We have conversed re Street Vegan a few times. Looking forward to hearing if you cook from it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Shaheen,
    This looks interesting, a "mock-meat" substitute of a meatloaf. Coating the slices in sweet grainy mustard glaze sounds so delicious. A spicy glaze sounds good too, one that I would enjoy as I love spicy food. Thanks for linking with CC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am thankful to Louise (see above for letting me know about CC).

      Delete
    2. I've heard many good things about Street Vegan, and these seitan strips look really good. Sriracha can only make a good thing better!

      Delete
    3. Yes, Joey - so agree Sriracha can only make a good thing better. I hope your able to get your mitts on a copy either via the library or as a gift to yourselfm

      Delete
  4. Yum - these look great. I have seitan far less than tofu so it's nice to be reminded to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, these are so good - I don't eat seitan much either, but since I have been able to access vital wheat gluten it makes more of an appearance in my home now.

      Delete
  5. "Bring on the sriracha bottle!" That is my kind of cook!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You