Saturday, 16 January 2016

Drowning in Coconut Milk Korma Soup

I have never had a desire to make a Korma at home until I ate one a few months back and was reminded of its loveliness.  It was quite yummy a little reminisce of Thai Green Curry, which I really love.  It was made with pumpkin and green beans and made a pleasant change from rich spicy tomato based curries.  
So in order to remedy having never made a korma in my home, I was finally ready to give it a go and it was quite delicious and despite its long list of ingredients I think this is one of the worlds most easiest recipes. .  Although, I think I may have added way too much coconut milk as it was drowning all the vegetables, still it tasted lovely.  I think my mother in law would like it too as it was not overly spicy. 
This Vegetable Korma Soup is perfect for those evening when you want to curl up in the corner of your soft and watch a movie.  I don't watch many Bollywood movies these days as I did in my childhood, but I do have a soft spot for the classics like the sentimental and emotional Mother India.  If you want something with a bit of humour then perhaps Amar Akhbar and Antony (where three brothers are separated at childhoods and united in adulthood, but each has been raised under a different religions: Hindu, Muslim and Christian; if that doesn't tickle you fancy and you want something with a bit more thrills then perhaps I can recommend Sholay - an Indian Spaghetti Western, the villain Amjad Khan is awesome.  I am sharing this with No Croutons Required hosted by Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes. 

Coconut Milk Korma Soup
Serves 4 - 6
2 tablespoon oil
2 medium onions, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 - 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
Stick of cassia bark (or cinnamon stick)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 medium cauliflower, cut into small bite size florets
250g carrots, peeled and sliced into half moon shapes
100g frozen or fresh peas or a can of chickpeas
100g cashew nuts
250ml vegetable stock
400ml coconut milk
Salt to taste
Optional: Handful of coriander leaves for garnish
In a wide pan, heat the oil and add the onion and garlic and cook until really soft.
Then stir in the spices and cook for a few minutes.
Stir in the cauliflower florets and carrots and cook for 15 minutes. before stirring in the peas, cashew nuts, vegetable stock and coconut milk.  
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook slowly for 30 minutes. 
Stir now and again to check if the vegetables are well cooked.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Serve with naan bread or over rice, or just slurp from a bowl.  You will still need a spoon for the chunky bits.


  1. I've never tried korma before, but it looks delicious. Perfect for this soup weather too!

    Giveaway going on NOW at ❀ VEGETARIAN COURTESY

    1. Thank you Adi. I really liked it. I will come on by and check out your give-away.

  2. I sometimes have kormas at indian restaurants because they are mild but they are often too sweet and insipid - I think I would much prefer your one that looks v nice. And I am not sure if I have ever seen a full bollywood movie - something I should attend to some day. Thanks for the recommendations.

    1. I so agree Johanna, I think that is why I have never before wanted to make it at home, as ridiculously sweet, but the one I had was home-made, so you can imagine why my mind was changed to make it at home. I totally recommend Sholay - its a real Bollywood classic and the acting is superb, if you have watched any of Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti westerns, you will recognise some of the threads in this movie.

  3. I love this soup! I have always wanted to make korma at home, but haven't managed to make it yet. Now I think that I really should, it would be interesting as a soup.

    1. VegHog - I think home-made ones are far more superior than those in Indian eateries and ready made brands, so I hope you get to make it some day.

  4. I adore korma and have made it several times at home. This version is intriguing and coconut milk I can never refuse! Thanks so much for sharing with NCR.

    1. Thanks Lisa. I like the fact that it wasn't sickly sweet especially.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You