Saturday, 30 January 2016

Harissa Aubergine, Kale and Chickpeas

This was not what I had planned to make with the aubergines that have been  nestling at the bottom of the fridge for the past week or so, but I couldn't remember the recipe I had actually planned to make with them.  Do you have days like that?!  Pick up some avocados for something specific then can't remember why and end up just making guacamole with it!

It didn't matter in the end as this Harissa Aubergine, Kale and Chickpeas dish was lovely.  We had it  early this afternoon after a lovely day in Cardiff where I spent quite a bit of hard earned cash today.  I picked up a gorgeous retro dress from a stall at St Mary's Market in the High Street, (the same place I got my Angry  Persian Aunties);  and a couple of pair of shoes from one of Cardiff's many Arcades, yes you read right, a couple of shoes and I am not even a shoe person.  Honestly they are both for work.  The past three months, and I am not kidding I have been going into work in boots!  Yes, it rains a lot in Wales. 
I wasn't sure how to serve it, it was thick and lush - no liquids for rice or couscous to mop up rice or couscous, so we had it with crusty bread.  I am hoping to finish it off tomorrow or the day after over Jacket Potatoes.   The slow cooking of the kale tasted wonderfully like bitter gourd, I like bitter gourd but it is an acquired taste, I guess so are aubergines.  The aubergines here were roasted in the oven before being added to the thick  rich harissa tomato sauce.



Harissa Aubergine, Kale and Chickpeas  
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 medium aubergines, cubed
4 - 6  tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

2-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green chill, minced
1 x 400g tin tomatoes, chopped
250g - 300g curly kale, stripped from stalks
1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon Harissa or more or less to taste (either make some see recipe here or from a tube)
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 7/220oc.
Coat the aubergines in 4 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper.  Toss well to coat, then transfer to two trays and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until just beginning to golden.
Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

In a wide pan, heat the oil and add the onions and garlic and cook slowly, until really soft - this could take up to 20 minutes, then stir in the minced chilli and cook for a few minutes, before stirring in the tomatoes and the harissa paste.
Cook slowly until the sauce is thick and the onions have begun to fall apart with softness.
Stir in the curly kale and cook for 10 minutes until it has begun to wilt, then stir in the roasted aubergine chunks and chickpeas. 
Cook for about 5 minutes, checking the seasoning and tweaking if necessary and then stir in additional Harissa if you wish.
Serve with couscous or plain rice or bread.    


12 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's nice to browse the arcades when the weather is wet. I think Cardiff must be a good place for markets. We have a new covered one in our city. Your aubergine, kale and chickpea dish is versatile because you can use it a couple of times in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has got better for sure. I don't live in Cardiff, I live in the valleys so its a bit of a treat when we visit. Yes the recipe is versatile. I am so glad - we finished it off today with Jacket Potato - though I have done lots of other cooking and baking for the working week ahead.

      Delete
  2. What a colorful healthy dish, Shaheen. I often buy items for one dish totally forgetting why I bought them, lol...I'm not much of s shoe shopper though. I usually wear sneakers, lol...

    I did buy eggplants the other day and just breaded them and fried them for Marion. She loves them that way! I wish I could convince her to eat a healthier dish like this. Save me some!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    P.S. Did you see my Welsh Rabbit post? I'd LOVE to know what your think of it:)
    http://www.monthsofediblecelebrations.com/2016/01/chasing-rabbit-epicurean-ode.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. I feel better, that i am not alone in forgetting why I bought a particular ingredient, seem to be doing it a lot more recently though :) I am not a shoe person either, i needed decent ones for work, as I have been going in the past few weeks in my boots.
      Eggplants breaded, sounds good. I will have to try that again, so I can see why Marion likes them.

      No I didn't see your Welsh Rabbit post - will come by for sure

      Delete
  3. This sounds lovely and hearty, and I do love harissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you littleveganbear. I love harissa too, but the brand shown is a little harsh, so home-made is recommended.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of your stew over jacket potatoes - your trip to cardiff sounds like fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. I like going into Cardiff, there are so many good Indie shops there, sometimes I wish i lived there (or Bristol) for accessible ingredients, but then times, i like where I live the valleys for its quietness

      Delete
  5. I definitely have days like that, when I forget what ingredients are for or even why I thought I'd like them! This dish looks like a great alternative to whatever was originally planned and a very tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. Does make me feel better knowing I am not alone in doing this :)

      Delete
  6. This recipe sounds very tasty, as it contains many of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog. It's all gone now!

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You