Sunday, 17 January 2016

Autumn Puff Pastry Mincemeat Trees

A few weeks back when we were all planning on our Christmas menu, a friend at work who loves her sweet baking shared a link with me for a very easy, yet very impressive recipe that would Wow guests.  It was simple enough, spread between two sheets of ready rolled puff pastry is a sweet (chocolate and hazelnut, fruit jams) or savoury (pesto, cheese) spread, then the pastry is shaped into a tree - an edible tree that is, where the tree branches are twisted for breaking off and enjoying.  I can only describe this a bit like a Danish pastry without the sugar icing.   I loved the look of the recipe, the fun aspects as well as the ease of making it, so picked up some puff pastry with intentions of making it for unexpected visitors, but sadly we didn't have many guests over the festive period... 

Then New Year came and I was given the opportunity to make it. 
Even though mine did not turn out as elegant as that featured in the link below and looked more like a Autumnal Tree, I was still pretty impressed with my effort.  I also loved the Welsh Lady's Christmas Mincemeat that had been in my cupboards for over a year. It was surprisingly jammy, unlike some jarred mincemeat that are dry and best shared with the garden birds. Saying that, we did share some of the leftovers of this Autumn Tree Twists with the garden birds.   
For the recipe follow this link.  For the filling I used a jar of Welsh Lady's Christmas Mincemeat (vegetarian) with Brandy & Sherry.  I am hoping to make another with Cheddar Cheese and Welsh Lady Roasted Chestnut Chutney.
Couple of other recipes to use up fruit mincemeat jars
Apple and mincemeat Crumble Tart
Fruit Mincemeat Flapjacks
I am sharing this with Credit Crunch Munch hosted by hosted by Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food For All.

16 comments:

  1. Love this idea which I've not seen before and always good to use up those Christmas ingredients! Thanks for a fab #CreditCrunchMunch entry:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea for using up mince meat - I still have some in my fridge and must use it but as it is not so popular among so many people it hasn't been great for baking to share! but i love the simplicity of this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Johanna, hence the reason I had to share - easy and a great way to use up mincemeat. The link is there, above the jars of mincemeat, paragraph - hover over the 'link'. I will work on it this evening to make the links bold, appreciate - not easy to see.

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I found the link - and I think your tree compares well to those on the link

      Delete
    3. Thank you, you are kind x

      Delete
  3. btw - I can't see the link the trees in your post - can you please point me to it - thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See comment above Johanna. I am also hoping to make the Pesto Pinwheel some day soon.

      Delete
  4. It did remind me of a Danish. :)
    This must have been so delicious; I'll visit the link with the recipe right now!
    P.S: I think the result looks sensational!<3

    VEGETARIAN COURTESY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi. I agree. It was yummy, I think you do need a good filling.

      Delete
  5. That is so creative and perfect for that half jar mincemeat that I have in the fridge!

    Thanks for sharing with #creditcrunchmunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. Yes, perfect for the half jar of mincemeat.

      Delete
  6. This is fantastic - what a beautiful dish. It definitely has the 'wow' factor! I love that you can break the branches off to eat them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari, Yes I too was impressed when I saw it - and I love that you can spread any filling you wish - sweet or savoury.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You