Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Sweet Parsnip Pie with Edible Flower Petals

A few good years ago when I began this blog, a fellow blogger commented that they loved that I made the most of an ingredient often using it for both sweet and savoury recipes.  I am guilty of it this time too.  After making this Sweet Parsnip Pie I made a Parsnip and Oat Porridge, I  usually eat porridge with freshly grated apple stirred into the mix but decided on trying it with parsnips and it was remarkable and naturally sweet, though I did throw in a handful of golden raisins.  I also made a Parsnip Crumble with some frozen berries and wait for it - Vanilla and Parsnip Creme Brulee.  
I've not always liked parsnips.  I have often found this root vegetable too sweet for my taste so one-day - a long time ago - I had decided it would be reserved mostly for sweet cakes and bakes, the way carrots are used in carrot cake (or if your South Asian like me, gajjar ka halwa aka Carrot halwa), though I must admit parsnips still makes an appearance in occasional savoury dishes. 

Back to the Sweet Parsnip Pie or should it read Sweet Parsnip Tart?!   Its a little hard to describe too, think American Pumpkin Pie. 
The parsnip pie was wonderfully creamy white like a brides lace dress until the spices kissed the pureed parsnip turning it into a deep vanilla colour.   The pie - tart was almost mousse like, almost velvety and sliced beautifully too.  You can eat it at room temperature, but if you wish to make it more of a pleasurable experience, then nuke in the microwave for a few seconds, then top with either freshly whipped cream or Vanilla or Coconut ice-cream.



I took a generous slice of it into work and shared it with a colleague of mine who mentioned once that she loved all things parsnips.  I said to her, had she ever had Parsnip Cake or Parsnip Pie - she had not.  She absolutely loved this.  She has requested the recipe.  Success.   I am sharing with  Emily for Recipe of the Week and Love Cake (Waste Not) hosted by Jibber Jabber UK; and also with Hedgecombers (and Lavender and Lovage) for Tea Time Treats;

Sweet Parsnip Pie with Edible Flower Petals
For the pastry make your own or buy ready rolled shortcrust pastry to line a 10 inch round fluted tin preferably with removable base. 
Line the base with the rolled shortcrust pastry and blind bake.
For the sweet parsnip filling
800g parsnips, peeled and chopped

284ml - 300ml double cream
150g caster sugar
2 free range eggs
Pinch of fine salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger*
Good grating of fresh nutmeg*
Optional: edible flowers

Method
Then pour in the sweet parsnip filling. Recipe below and bake for . 
Cook the parsnips in boiling water until really really tender.  Drain and allow to dry naturally.  Then transfer to blender and puree.  I used my Optimum Froothie Blender.
Then  pour in the double cream and blend until smooth.  Transfer the puree to a large bowl, then whisk in the eggs, sugar, salt and spices (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract) until well combined.
Pour and scrape the flavoured parsnip puree into the blind baked pastry casing.
Bake gas mark 4/180oc for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the surface is beginning to brown and crack a little.. 
Allow to cool for a few hours or overnight before serving with a scattering of optional edible flower petals.  *If your not keen on the cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, change this for 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.  Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking December 2009/January 2010. 
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliated links with Froothie UK. 

14 comments:

  1. Looks really beautiful - and your description is really beautiful too. I love parsnips because they were (and still are) a treat to have with a roast dinner but I have tried parsnip cake last year and loved it so am sure it is great in this tart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Johanna. I think you will like this for sure.

      Delete
  2. I love how the parsnips are the main ingredient in this. People are always surprised when I say how sweet parsnips are. The spices add a lovely winter warmth to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree = Parsnips can be ridiculously sweet!

      Delete
  3. That is the most stunning parsnip pie I've ever seen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patricia, you are kind.

      Delete
  4. This is such a clever idea - if carrots can be used in bakes, why not parsnips? Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Becca, If you like this, then wait till you see my other Sweet Parsnip recipes. This really was yummy - natural sweetness from the parsnips, though a little sugar did go in for good measure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love this. I'm all for using all of the ingredient with no waste. I also love veggies in cakes! Spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a stunning dish! An absolute show stopper! Who knew parsnips could be so attractive! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. I have other recipes coming soon, hope you approve.

      Delete
  8. Ooh the spices kissing the parsnip cream - sounds wonderful Shaheen. Love the way you've decorated your pie. I'm a big fan of parsnips in cakes, but I'd never have thought to do anything quite like this - fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Choclette x
      Its not the prettiest pie naked topped, so the edible dried flowers made a difference uplifting its visual appeal - and taste too.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You