Monday, 11 January 2016

Mildred's Cauliflower and Green Olive Tagine

In more of an effort to make use of my cookbooks from my Vegetarian Library, today we have Mildred's The Cookbook.  

I  was fortunate to win Mildred's The Cookbook last year.  
I've made a few recipes from it including  the most delicious vegan Brownies with Peanut Butter and a smoky Lapsang Chestnut Mushroom Strogonoff.  This time I wanted  to try something with piquancy.  I decided on the Cauliflower and Green Olive Tagine.  I like olives, it wasn't always this way and to satisfy D it had his favourite white vegetable.  
Although the Tagine was filling and full of different textures from the cauliflower, carrots and chickpeas, we both felt the sauce lacked depth.  Why? This recipe does not have onions, but is substituted with celery sticks.   I do understand the need for such recipes.  When I did a bit of freelance vegetarian cooking, one of my customers had an allergy to alliums: the onion family, other avoided onions for religious reasons. I was well aware of people having different dietary needs and some having  allergens, mostly towards peanuts or an intolerance of gluten, but alliums was a new one to me.  I adapted a few of my recipes for him.   I am thankful and very fortunate that I do not have any allergens, so can enjoy my food without a second thought, but not every one is in the same position. 

4 comments:

  1. It looks lovely even if not perfect. I would be sad if I couldn't eat alliums. They are the foundation to most of my cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet. I would be too, like you said the foundation of most of our cooking!

      Delete
  2. It is amazing how many allergies there are about - I love onions and garlic and have them in so many meals that I would really miss them. I hope you get a chance to try more of mildred's recipes to see if others have flavours you enjoy - and I think this tangine sounds like a nice idea - would extra flavours fix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so surprising. I have a colleague at work allergic to kiwi's. For those of use fortunate without onion allergies, I would perhaps make this with onions, and yes for me that would make a huge difference in flavour.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You