Monday, 18 January 2016

Winter Vegetable Tagine

This Winter Vegetable Tagine is a super duper recipe for making the most of winter vegetables and chances are if your a cook that likes to dabble in spices from around the world, then you may already have Ras el Hanout in your kitchen cupboards too.  So what's stopping you - make this hearty  flavour packed dish.  

The winter vegetables include: carrots, mushrooms, parsnips, turnip aka swede, new potatoes and  some dates which melted into the thick sauce.  To finish off some nutty chickpeas and harissa.
D said this is perhaps one of the best Tagines I have ever made and that is high praise indeed as I have made many in the past.  I have to agree with him and I am not that into sweet root vegetables either, but here I was totally swayed.  I think the slow cooking benefited the dish big time as the flavours infused the vegetables.  Its best to serve this Tagine with couscous, but I didn't have any at home, so it was served with Basmati rice - twice!   
I have absolutely no doubt that Sarah Beattie would be gracious and grant me permission to share the recipe for this Winter Vegetable Tagine on my blog, but the cookbook: Meat Free Any Day is reasonably priced, not like those glossy hardback coffee table cookbooks.  This is one cookbook you will use if your a down to earth home cook like me, as its real proper food that you really want to eat.  You can find the full recipe in Sarah Beattie Author of Meat-Free Any Day: Food For All Reasons. Check out Sarah Beatties Facebook Page too.  I sharing this with Cook Once, Eat Twice hosted by Searching For Spice. 

10 comments:

  1. I am forever in awe of people who can make an excellent tagine - mine always end up sweetish disappointments. Looks like a perfect winter dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey,i think it does take practice - but the slow cooking def. is on the right path.

      Delete
  2. looks really lovely - I don't cook tangines much so this sounds like it would be a nice change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does certainly make a lovely change, just slow cook it for best results.

      Delete
  3. Yes, tagine is just the right thing at the moment! I like the idea with the root veg too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VegHog I wasn't too sure of the root veg at first but it really does work as the flavours infuse.

      Delete
  4. I still need to invest in a tagine! This dish looks delicious and perfect for a cold evening. You cannot beat fresh, seasonal vegetables. Popping over from #CookOnceEatTwice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsty, you can make this in a slow cooker, I have a tagine but don't use it that often, though it is impressive to bring it to the table when you have guests.

      Delete
  5. It looks absolutely beautiful! A tagine is a lovely way to serve winter root vegetables like these and being able to eat it twice is always a good thing. Thank you so much for joining in with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corina, I hope to join in again this month. I often make dishes to last 2 - 3 days :)

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You