Friday, 29 January 2016

5mile Friday

It's been a week of big smiles and warmth in my heart, so I that is what I am going to share this Friday.

To start off, I returned to work after a long weekend away only to receive a phone call from one of my clients who rang to simply say Thank you.  I know you many go, big deal, people say Thank you to me all the time, but the nature of work I do, I rarely get any thanks as people just want to move on, so I was totally overwhelmed by this graceful elderly lady making an effort to tell me  of the difference my involvement has made to her mental and physical well being.  She has even invited me back to her home for a cuppa and cake int he future.  I assured her, I would take her up on her kind offer when I was in her direction. 

A long-term blogger friend of mine Choclette who has been blogging as long as I have, won her first long-overdue blogging award for Best Food Blogger in The Food Awards 2016.  I cannot express how happy I am for her.  She is well grounded, genuine and her recipes distinct and original - I mean check out her Chocolate Marmite Brownies or Chocolate Dukkah!.  I became first acquainted with Choclette in 2009 through her then blog Chocolate Log Blog, but these days she blogs at Tin and Thyme: Tales from a Cornish Kitchen. Funnily enough we met up last week by coincidence as we both got invited by Cranks to attend The Vegetarian Society's Cookery School in Cheshire.
Which brings me to 2 - when I got back home from the 'Vegan Toolkit Cookery' course I also came back not just with a handful of vegan recipes, but also  bag of goodies thanks to the Vegetarian Society.   I have been a member of the Vegetarian society for over 10 years, so this experience which I will write more about was real exciting for me.  It wasn't just a gimmick or a tick box exercises that I've been there, done that.  No it was much more for me. I like everything in the bag, but my favourite by far has to be Suma Chilli flakes, its an ingredient I use most of the time. 
When I got a chance I checked my e mails as I had been without the Internet for a couple of days.   I got an e mail from the stunning Adi who blogs over at Vegetarian Courtesy that I had won her first blog contest.  The challenge was to identify the vegetables in her new header and the prize a quirky art commission.  It took me two guesses, the dark fruit was the one the right side got many of us baffled.  This is the final result.  I love it, though she has been rather kind and made me slimmer, I am a lot more curvier. Had I not changed my blog header earlier this month, this would have been it. 
I love these two country folk characters gifted to me by my lovely husband a little while back.
Please click on the pictures as my photo does not do them justice.  I love the small details.  The patchwork on the woman's dress, the little mouse at her feet, the man's walking stick and the adoring dog jumping up on his leg.  Its just charming.  
I had these retro style skinny mugs for a while, they make me smile - especially on rainy blustery days. But this week moreso, I learned my best friend from America may be paying me a visit this year.  Her little girl, who I call my neice although we are not related is getting into high tea and castles, so I can't wait and I am more excited as I will be able to sit down with my friend who I have not seen since 2000 and have tea¬

And finally something else my husband got me this black metallic handd crafted  hedgehog.  Bare with me, it doesn't look like much, but wait prepare to be amazed..... 



Its a nestling hedgehog - a hedgehog in a hedgehog - there are six of them all together.  
I don't know where its from, who designed it or what its purpose is - so if anyone can enlighten me, please let me know.  I'd appreciate it, maybe its just purely decorative.
I am sharing this with Five on Fridays hosted by Amy at Love Made My Home.  and Friday's Fave Five with Susanne. 

32 comments:

  1. Thank you for visiting my blog through Five on Friday. Those hedgehogs are amazing, love them. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome and thank you for repaying the compliment.

      Delete
  2. Could they be measuring cups for cooking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie, I don't think so as one of them is a little rusty and no measurements on them or handles to hold from but good guess.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had such a lovely week! The hedgehog is beautiful, don't know the purpose of it though... Simply decoration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I agree with you - i think they are simply decorative. And I will enjoy them that way.

      Delete
  4. Tea parties are such fun! Cute little hedgehog :) I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/01/tea-time-operation-and-snow-12916.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I certainly will Colletta what a lovely name.

      Delete
  5. The Hedgehog thing is amazing! Maybe it's an upmarket lemon-squisher???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark - not interesting guess, but not so as they are metallic and would rust in no time - i think they are just decorative.

      Delete
  6. What a superb 5. I shall be sure to visit your friend's blog. And you won a contest, that is always such a lovely surprise and warms ones heart, well done you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It certainly does warm ones heart. I was well chuffed.

      Delete
  7. That nesting hedgehog is so great! I'm glad you got that thank you call...we should all learn from that gesture. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Visiting from Five on Friday at #27 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellen, such gestures make a day rewarding in a job that is often thankless.

      Delete
  8. Lots of goodness! I adore those hedgehogs!!! Too too too cute!!! Your mugs are lovely too! Hope you enjoy your friend visiting. Thank you for joining Five On Friday, happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy. I am so glad I have joined in, i surely will when I have time and mostly remember - have to remember the small things in life too.

      Delete
  9. Welcome to FFF. I will enjoy checking out your recipes since I eat a vegan diet. The hedgehog nesting bowls are cute! Probably just decorative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Willow. FFF has been really welcoming and I hope to join in as often as I can, time gets the better of me sometimes, doesn;t it all of us. I agree with you about the hedgehogs, just decorative.

      Delete
  10. Hello Shaheen. I've come to visit as I often join in Amy's Five on Friday. You have had a lot to smile about this week. It's nice to receive a thank you and always pleasing when other people are appreciated such as your blog friend. You'll enjoy your bag of goodies I'm sure.
    The mugs, ornaments and the hedgehogs are charming. You must be pleased to hear your friend might be visiting this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I certainly had a big grin on my face at the start of the week and pretty much towards the end of it, doesn;t happen that often these days. I am really looking forward to seeing my friend Leah and her little one Betsy.

      Delete
  11. Oh this is a lovely post full of great things. I didn't realise that chocolette had a new blog, I followed her a long time ago. As a vegetarian, I'm interested in your Crank's day and your goody bag looks fab! That picture is of you is lovely and I love your mugs. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa. Oh you must check her blog out, she is awesome as ever! I will write more about the Cranks-VegSoc day, I have quite a few pics to share.

      Delete
  12. How nice for someone to take the time to genuinely thank you.

    I love figurines with good details, too.

    That hedgehog is interesting - I wonder, too, what it's for or whether it is just art. But it's a neat concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbarah, that is exactly how I felt - someone to go out of their say and say Thank you. I agree with you about the hedgehogs - just an arty object, not functional at all - makes me smile though and brings out the child in me.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for joining us! I am totally loving that little nesting hedgehog. My daughter would love that! I'm thinking maybe it's just little "dishes" for different things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanne. its been a blast. I think the hegdgehog is just an arty piece, not functional. Its amusing though.

      Delete
  14. Seems you had a wonderful week.....just trying to get back to my blog friends. Miss you all. Life has been complicated,as they say.However I think I'm seeing the light now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Hobbit, I came by earlier and saw your last post in December. Life gets like that, my years between 2011 - 2013 were like that and knocked me back, blogosphere has not felt the same again and has changed so much. I hope you well and all is well now x I know your bloggers will be pleased to see you. I remember you every christmas with the little jumper you sent to me for Christmas all those years ago.

      Delete
  15. interesting hedgehog thingy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many lovely, happy things in this post Shaheen :D I love those nesting hedgehogs, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Susie. I can be quite the pessimist at times, so this is def. a very happy post that left me naturally high.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You