Thursday, 7 January 2016

Eating Czech and Ginger Chilli Cookies In My Kitchen,

I feel like I should be sharing things given to me for Christmas, but I only had a handful of food related stuff that found there way into the kitchen.
My lovely Czech friend at work gave me some home baked cookies steeped in her cultural heritage. She made these cookies with her son.  This is the same friend that made me Daisy Honey a little while back.  She told me what each one was, but I cannot remember them except that I loved the gingerbread boot, its nothing like the crisp crunchy Gingerbread biscuits we have in the UK, these were soft and nougaty.  She did say, there was no ginger in it but mixed spice.  I also loved the hand rolled Rum and coconut balls, we've only just finished them off.
Next Lucifers Biscuits from Fortnum and Mason - so posh!  My mother-in- law won them at a raffle and gave them to me because she was not keen on the chilli and ginger. We have started on them recently, the chilli gets you! I like them. 



For Christmas, my husband got me some cookbooks, a blow torch (not shown)  so that I can now start making perfect creme brulee for him.  He also got me these cute little cast iron cookie pans, the pans are appreciated.  I am saving them for when the nephews and nieces come over.  The  cast iron pans are versatile and be great for making chickpea frittata in the oven.
I picked up these vegan Beauty Sweeties mostly for D as he likes Grapefruit.  
This week we both returned to work for the full week, so coming back in the evening and cooking from scratch has not been appealing, so we picked up some VegeiDeli Lincolnshire Style Sausages.  I've been enjoying VegiDeli products quite a bit recently, with it making an appearance on our vegetarian Christmas Dinner plate, but also as sandwich fillings.  
I also have this vegan Violife Mozzarella flavour cheese and plan to use it up this weekend.
Finally, a friend recently came back from Pakistan.  She gave me some pine-nuts still in their shells which I used for a French Lentil Soup, bu also these Savoury snacks and something called Tulsi - a sweet fennel seed snack.   I am sharing this post with  Maureen of The Orgasmic Chef. who is hosting s In My Kitchenon behalf of Celia from Fig and Lime Cordial.   

12 comments:

  1. I have never seen unshelled pine nuts so that would really intrigue me. The chilli and ginger biscuits are posh but I'd need to eat them sparingly.

    Thanks heaps for being part of In My Kitchen this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen, I regret not taking picture of unshelled pine nuts - will do so next time I am bestowed with them.

      Delete
  2. Chili and ginger biscuits sounds delicious! The Czech cookies look great, similar to all the ones I've had while living in Germany and Austria. I've always wanted those mini cast iron pans! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely biscuits to choose from! I like your new cast iron pans too and being able to make creme brulee is exciitng :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, Yes i am liking the cast iron pans and am looking forward to making some creme brulee soon - maybe a Parsnip creme Brulee.

      Delete
  4. Shaheen - Happy New Year! I am afraid that I am a bit late, but it is still very heartfelt. I had to jump back into work right after Christmas and it is a bit hard to get back into the "normal" routine right after the Holidays. But I just wanted to thank you for all the hard work you do on your wonderful blog. I know how much effort it takes and how hard it can be to do after putting in a full day at our regular jobs. But I love having my look at your world, the sights, sounds and tastes. I hope to be much better this year at posting on my blog and commenting on yours. Wishing you and D all the best this year and a late congratulations on your blogs anniversary. Well done and don't change a thing. Its just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Lexa.
      Better late than never x
      Don't worry about commenting, just get blogging - but do it because you enjoy it, it must never be a chore, if it does - take break. Thank you so much for your warm wishes and kind words. Really. Thank you means a lot to me and I know you have been reading my blog a long long time and are still with me. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. those biscuits look lovely, love that boot decorating! I've tried those VegiDeli sausages once and quite liked them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think i prefer them to quorn.

      Delete
  6. Shaheen, what a sweet friend to share that plate of homebaked love -- such a variety, too! I'm curious about the Mozzarella flavored cheese -- does it melt nicely or is it meant to be eaten cold? Looking forward to your pinenuts in the shell photo, too, whenever you have more. Happy New Year (happy mid-January!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. She is kind and we have become close. The Mozza cheese does melt nicely, lovely warm. Not to be eaten cold, not as nice.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You