Saturday, 23 January 2016

Sarah Beattie's Camembert Leek Rostiflette

Well, if you hadn't guessed it, I jacked in Veganuary.  I have been doing it loyally since the campaign began and have proved to myself in the past that I can maintain a vegan diet for a month and it doesn't have to be for the New Year resolution month of January, the challenge for me in the future is will it be longer?! And the reasons for doing so have to be genuine, not a gimmick to get blog hits or retweets.  So what really happened?!   

Well I I went out for a proper vegetarian experience and that's when I slipped.  When I am in control of my own cooking, I am focused - but invite me to go out for a meal, and I rarely go out for a meal especially to a exclusively Vegetarian restaurant where a vegetarian can be spoiled for choice, then anything can happen.  And it did, I was in Manchester recently with the lovely Choclette of Tin and Thyme (formerly Chocolate Log Blog) and was tempted by something I saw on the menu at 1847 .  I genuinely completely forgot about my Veganuary pledge and was swayed by the...wait for it ...Beer Battered Halloumi with mushy pea emulsion, lemon curd and greens  (see tweeted  image from Choclette below).  Its not that I am mad about cheese either, but salty chewy halloumi coated in light crisp batter, just got me greedy with excitement.  And the verdict, it was delicious, even the chips were awesome.  I have no regrets. 
Anyway, I get back home this afternoon and want something a bit more comforting to eat and was reminded of a recipe for Leek Rostiflette  by  Sarah Beattie who shared it a couple of days ago on her Facebook page for National Cheese Lovers Day.  You can also find the recipe in Meat Free Any Day.
Its been a little while since I cooked a dish with leeks. It was only when I was sauteeing the leeks that I was reminded of its lovely sweetness.  The leeks were then stirred into some grated potatoes that D cooked yesterday for mash, (he has a tendency to make way too much of anything he cooks) and carefully scraped it into a large baking dish finishing it off with sliced triangular chunks of Camembert cheese that was left over from New Years Eve.  



This rich and comforting dish was served simply with some good veggie sausages and a dash of brown sauce for the Tamarind kick!  As the cooked potatoes were from yesterday and the Camembert cheese left over from New Years Eve, I have decided to share Sarah Beattie's Leek Rostiflette was with Elizabeths's Kitchen for No Waste Food Challenge
Image from @Choclette8 Twitter

14 comments:

  1. Oh now this looks stunning. Quite frankly both this and the halloumi are worth slipping for. You did well! I'm going weekday vegetarian which for me is a huge step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom. Good luck with going veggie weekday, I have no doubt you will do well.

      Delete
  2. I have had beer battered halloumi so I can see why you crumbled...it's so good! This rosiflette sounds like the perfect comfort dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline x
      Lovely to hear from you - its been a while. Hope your well.

      Delete
  3. Haha, what are you like Shaheen? Slipped once and now there's no stopping you! I would find this leek rostiflette very hard to resist. It was lovely to meet you again this weekend, I'm so glad you were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette, yes - no stopping me, there will be no cheese on the menu tomorrow, but D has picked up some yogurt tubs for us to take to work for lunch!
      Also lovely to meet you to x I am so glad you were there for me too x

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh to myself, Shaheen. I do the same thing when I go to a restaurant. I toss the cholesterol worries away and stuff my face, lol...I would definitely do the same for this amazing combination of flavors and ingredients.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. You have made me smile too.

      Delete
  5. The camembert bake and the fried haloumi sound amazing - I am like you with cooking well at home and then when out I am at the mercy of other cooks (not always a bad thing but it would make a veganuary difficult)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, so you can see the temptation and I am not that crazy about cheese either. Thank goodness I am vegetarian.

      Delete
  6. I am loving leeks at the moment and using them lots. I've actually had the vegan version of that 1847 dish where they made it for me with tofu instead of halloumi. It was good but I can imagine the flavours are quite different. You've got me craving sausage and mash now, I can see it on the menu this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leeks are lovely, I often forget - and shame on me as I am Welsh! So good that 1847 subbed the halloumi for tofu, I had not even thought about it. I actually quite like tofu but I also like halloumi...mmm. Yes mash and gravy, sometimes hits the spot. Hope you get to make some soon.

      Delete
  7. Such a gorgeous sounding dish! I could quite happily tuck into this right now! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, it was rather lush and I am no soft mashy potato person.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You