Friday, 8 January 2016

Root Vegetable Terrine with Chestnuts

If you have any carrots and parsnip left over from the festive week then I have a recipe for you, just don't make a soup with it.  I actually made this Root Vegetable Terrine on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day.  

This was my only contribution to our Vegetarian Christmas Dinner plate as D took charge in the kitchen.  Over the years, cooking up Christmas dinner has become his responsibility, I am not sure when or why this happened, but I am quietly pleased as it gives me a deserved break and it always feels like a treat when he cooks for me, just does.   
D is not keen on overly keen nut roasts and didn't care either way if it made an appearance on our plate, so as a compromise, I decided to make a Parsnip Terrine recipe that I have made in the past. 
I introduced a few different elements to it in an attempt to make it more festive, namely the inclusion of earthy nuggets of chestnuts.  Though it was not necessary, slices of terrine  made an appearance on our Roast dinner plate.  We also had it on Boxing day served at room temperature with some tangy pickle.

Serve as part of a Vegetarian Roast Dinner.  Its best to make this Root Vegetable Terrine with Chestnuts the day before, as it slices better. 
Its also reheats well.  I am sharing this with Extra Veg hosted by Fuss Free Helen and  Utterly SrummyHedgecombers (and Lavender and Lovage) for Tea Time Treats; and  Elizabeths's Kitchen for No Waste Food Challenge; and finally Belleau Kitchen for Simply Eggcellent.  

Roasted Chestnut, Parsnip and Carrot Loaf
Serves 4 - 6 as part of a Sunday Vegetarian Roast Dinner
400g parsnips and carrots, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion, finely minced
2 clove garlics, crushed
1 teaspoon freshly minced rosemary
180g cooked chestnuts, sliced in half. Optional: keep some back for topping
2 eggs beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
Line and grease a 1lb/460g loaf tin.
Peel and grate the carrots and parsnips,
In a wide pan, heat the oil and add the onion and garlic, cook until tender. 
Stir in the carrots, herbs and season to taste.  
Cook with the lid on for a few minutes, stirring from time to stop it from sticking to the pan.  
When the vegetables are soft, turn off the heat and allow to cool.
When cool, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and stir in the chopped chestnuts.
Then stir in the eggs until well combined.  
Transfer the mixture to the loaf tin and smooth the top to even out.
Place in the oven, gas mark 4/180oc for 1 hour.
Remove from the oven. 
Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from loaf tin and serving part of a Vegetarian Roast Dinner.


  1. Lovely with the addition of the chestnuts I imagine. xx

  2. Looks and sounds great, I have a packet of cooked Chestnuts just waiting to be released and used!

    1. Thank you. I hope your chestnuts get used soon.

  3. love chestnuts! This looks beautiful x

  4. This sounds fantastic! So very inventive with the use of leftovers, I love it! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge :)

    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Always a pleasure, I am not always good with remembering to enter challenges these days, so bad with social media too.

  5. I am very fond of nut roasts but also love other loaves like this terrine - did you eat it warm - I always think of terrines as being cold but am not really that familiar with the term

    1. We ate this at room temperature. It was a nice change.

  6. This sounds beautiful! Root veg + chestnuts are delicious together. Love the new look by the way!

    1. Thank you. And thanks for the ack. my new blog header, appreciated. I am still unsure about it.

  7. this really looks and sounds so delicious! I love the inclusion of chestnuts and I have some chestnuts that weren;t used over Christmas so I am going to make this! Lovely link to Simply Eggcellent x

    1. Thank you Dom. I am glad you have accepted if for the challenge, I was a tad unsure if you would.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You