Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Balsamic Tomato and Butter Beans Soup

We tend to enjoy soup at the weekend.  There was once a time when I would make it on a Sunday for us to enjoy during the working week, but the reality was when we come home from a long day at work, we really want to tuck into something more substantial than slurp from a bowl.
D has a tendency to pick up tomatoes from the grocers even out of season.  He knows they cannot ever be compared to homegrown, but he likes to have them as an option for his home-made sandwiches or cherry tomatoes for salads.   These tomatoes had not been used for either and to the touch were beginning to soften here and there.  After enjoying the Seven Spice Butter Bean Stew I was inspired to make a soup of them with the addition of butter beans. 
As you can imagine, the tomatoes were not the tastiest, so I decided to a little balsamic vinegar for sharp flavour, this was a good move as it made for a good soup. I am sharing this with Farmers Girl  Kitchen and Baking Queen 74 for January Slow Cooked Challenge

Slow Cooked Balsamic Tomatoes and Butter Beans 
Serves 6
250g dried butter beans soaked overnight, then cooked the following day until tender.  
Drain and set aside.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, minced
3 cloves garlic, rushed
1 generous teaspoon dried oregano 
450g fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped (or 1 x 400g tinned tomatoes)
1 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
250ml vegetable stock
Salt to taste
In a wide pan, heat the oil then stir in the onions and garlic and saute until very very soft.
Stir in the oregano and chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and paste.  
Cook for a few minutes to coat the ingredients well in the balsamic paste, then stir in the stock and the butter beans.  
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 35 - 40 minutes until thick.  
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. 


  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I think its the balsamic that made it more delicious for me personally.

  2. It looks delish...I love butter beans!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    1. Thank you Teresa.
      I like them too, esp. when they are cooked well and melt in the mouth.

  3. Ooooh! Yum! When we canned our tomatoes as sauce last year we tried a new recipe which included balsamic and it was amazing! I doubt we'll make plain sauce ever again! It works in everything (at least so far) and really makes the tastebuds sing! This looks like a keen soup!

    1. Lucky you. We ate most our tomatoes fresh. I hope to get some jars this year and make some chutney.
      This was a good soup, made a change.

  4. I love balsamic vinegar so I'll have to give this a go.

    1. Thank you Matt. So good to hear from you. Do hope your well.

  5. I love the idea of balsamic with tomato soup and will definitely be trying this. We are also soup at weekends people and butterbeans are so delicious in soup. Thanks for joining us for the Slow Cooked Challenge.

    1. Thanks Janice. Ah nice to know that you to are weekend soup people :)

  6. Your soup looks delicious Shaheen, I love the idea of using balsamic to flavour those tomatoes. Thanks for sharing :)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You