Wednesday, 6 January 2016

French Lentil Soup with Capers and Fried Pine Nuts

I made this rustic French Lentil Soup with Capers and Fried Pine Nuts from Adam Sobel's Street Vegan a little while back. 
I've had many a French Lentil style soups in my time, but what was different about this one and what I loved about this soup other than the Puy lentils was the undertones of the Balsamic vinegar, enhanced further by a garnishing of minced piquant capers and in place of croutons, some fried pine-nuts.  This soup had real depth of flavour!
These pine nuts scattered over this soup were given to me by a friend who had just come back from Pakistan.  The pine nuts were still in there shells too so took time to shell, but I didn't mind it. I have never thought about it before, but Pine Nuts do have that cheesy greasy texture and I can totally now see why pine nuts are used in vegan 'Parmesan' cheese recipes. 

And yes there is rosemary in the soup too, hence my soup bowl posing with it.
This is the first of many Adam Sobel's Street Vegan recipes to make an appearance on my blog.  For those of you who have the cookbook already will know what I am about to say - but I cannot wait to make his Maple mustard breakfast seitan strip.  Every time I have gone to make it I discover I am short of an ingredient, first it was tofu, then grainy mustard and more recently celery. I will make it soon though - its bookmarked. And Jalapeno Corn Chowdah will be the next soup! I am linking this with Cooking Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking Foray.  You may be interested to note that I am hosting The Vegetarian Library challenge launched early this month, follow this link to find out more. 

13 comments:

  1. That reminds me I have borrowed this book - sounds like a lovely soup - the capers seems like an interesting idea and I have never thought about pine nuts in their shells - sounds delicious to have them freshly shelled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna,
      My library is really small and average for veggie and vegan cookbooks, though they are extremely helpful, there are books I want to look at but not nec. purchase. Pine nuts from the shell, lovely - peeling them - not so much, a little fiddly.

      Delete
  2. Oh how I love lentils; especially with the rainy weather I've been recently having. :)
    I'll have to try making them like this soon!

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheesePapas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi.
      Its a lovely soup, really.

      Delete
  3. That's one seriously gorgeous looking soup, and I love that you were gifted pine nuts still in their shells! How fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard lots of really good things about that book - I really need to get a copy before too long. Capers and pine nuts are so good together - such a tasty addition to the soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do get a copy, its more for the experienced vegetarian - vegan cook - lots of techniques, bold flavours real with substance - Totally recommend it.

      Delete
  5. Looks so lovely. I feel the need to track down this cookbook now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shaheen,
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and for joining Cookbook Countdown. It is really nice to have you at CC.
    That bowl of soup looks and sounds really nice. And I love pine nuts, but they are very costly over here.
    I do not have many vegetarian cookbooks, and when I do cook from them, I will definitely join your vegetarian event.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was pleased to be told about the challenge and glad to join in. I agree pine nuts are expensive, I don't buy them much either - these were gifted to me so I got lucky. I hope you join in some day.

      Delete
  7. Really need to try lentils in soup soon, very soon. This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily, it really had depth of flavour.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You