Thursday, 4 June 2015

June In My Kitchen

A fortnight ago, we went to Bristol city centre and took a pleasurable wander through St Nicholas Market.  I ended up treating myself to some Psycho Chocolate Chilli Salted Caramel with Naga Jolokia from the Hot Sauce Emporium.    Psycho Chocolate Chilli  is serious chocolate for serious chilliheads, it really is.  Fro those of you who read my blog, will know that I am well known for my love of savoury snacks rather than chocolate things, but this appealed to me because I enjoy most things chilli and spice.  
I had sampled a bit of the Psycho Chocolate Chilli Salted Caramel with Naga Jolokia while I was there, and within moments wanted a whole bar.  In fact I picked up 3 Psycho Chocolate Bars, (one got nicked by my nephew).  Wen I got home, I hid them as these were my treat, not D's.  Well at the weekend, I snipped open a bar, and took out a piece, put it on my tongue and allowed it to melt slowly in my mouth.  Vanilla fudge pieces, Sweet caramel milk chocolate, sea salt flakes and then Oh my Goodness the naga jolokia chilli  (ghost chilli) hits you - Boom.   Yes Hallowed be thy pain, but  it was beautifully balanced and supremely hot.  I am resisting eating the whole bar in one sitting, and I know I can finish it off, but as I only have two bars - I am enjoying it slowly - another visit to Bristol is surely due and so soon. 
I've been enjoying some Ethiopian and Eritrean style dishes at home, so have made my own Berbere Hot Spice Blend at home which has been used in a pasta dish and a Vegetable Broth.   
I found this packet of fair-trade Zamora Plantain Chips, in one of my kitchen cupboards.  It had fallen to the back.  I had bought it a while ago when I visited a Fairtrade shop somewhere or other, I can't remember where. 
Over the past week, we have had British baby Roma cherry tomatoes, seasonal asparagus spears and balls of fresh mozzarella, so an easy puff pastry tart has been on the menu three times (honest three times)  in one week. The tomatoes were truly bursting with proper sweetness. 
I have been pottering in the garden, trying to get some plants in the ground.  In relation to harvesting, there is very little.  I did pick a couple of ripe strawberries but they disappeared into someones gob before I got to take a picture.  The one thing that we have been using rather a lot in the kitchen are home-grown herbs: mint, rosemary, thyme and chives with their beautiful purple sparkle flower heads adoring salads and various other dishes.  
And finally, my lovely husband presented me with this rather unusual lapis blue coloured Italian hand-made ceramic dish described as a Sea Horse.  I like it as the amazing colour caught my eyes, but I am not too sure what purpose it serves.  I mean is it a salt dish; a soap dish or for jewellery or keys, but it has been placed in the kitchen for now - so any ideas as to its purpose would be most appreciated.   I am sharing this post with the lovely Celia from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial who hosts In My Kitchen (IMK) series.

27 comments:

  1. Yum...that chocolate sounds delicious! And that dish is beautiful. The first thing I thought was that it was a soap dish; but that's just me. I'm sure it will do a great job, no matter what you use it for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. My husband has started put soap in in, but I am not sure as no drainage. I may move it from the window sill somewhere else, just not sure though.

      Delete
  2. That psycho chocolate looks fun but I think that I would prefer the label to the chilli. That tart looks gorgeous and I love how you use those pretty flowers for salads - they would look great on a savoury cake too (like my ombre potato and cheese torte). Love to peek into your kitchen and see what is exciting you and what you have found at the back of the pantry :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, the Psycho Chocolate is AWESOME! I could be an addict!
      The tart has been lovely and very easy to eat and make after a days work. I have quite a few edible flowers in my garden, so please expect to see more over the next few months.

      Delete
  3. Ooh I like the sound of the psycho chocolate! Funky label too. The 'seahorse' is very cute, I'm not sure either - a salt dish sounds like a good idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So agree littleveganbear - funky label - yeah. MMm yes I am erring a little on salt dish too as it just does not seem right for soap.

      Delete
  4. I love the ceramic dish! Doesn't matter what it's for if it's that cute. :)

    I sometimes have the puff pastry tart weeks, too and am glad that other people also do.

    Have a great weekend Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog, your right - but somehow a soap dish does not seem right. Puff pastry is a must spring and summer days when light food is desired. So good we think alike in the kitchen

      Delete
  5. Lots of yummy things in your cupboard Shaneen! I could almost taste that tart. D's gift is beautiful....I wonder might it be for olives? Love the color of the glaze. Happy June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, GardeningBren - dear Brenda - I think of you often and feel bad for not coming by as much as I used too. I hope you will forgive me but know that you are not far from my thoughts. My garden is coming along you will be pleased to know, but lots of the plants have either been donated by friends at work or purchased from a independent garden centre, I have hardly grown anything from seed this year, maybe the chard - if it strenghens.

      I am liking your suggestion for olives, sound more interesting - but I don't think so as its a tad small to even one portion. Yes, I agree the colour is gorgeous, I think that is why I pointed it to D when I originally saw it, then he came home with it - what a darling.

      Delete
    2. I went and had a look at it again Brenda and I think you may be right - for olives, it is much bigger than I thought originally.

      Delete
  6. If the blue dish is Italian, then I reckon it must be an olive dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your right, Brenda above suggested it too and I am convincing myself moreso that it is for olives.

      Delete
  7. Shaheen, I had my first taste of ghost peppers (chilies) in a BBQ sauce in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the server thought I was "psycho" for requesting it. (She said, "Nobody orders that!") I can only imagine how good it was in that chocolate bar, and your description of the experience was wonderful! Love your homemade Berbere, the gorgeous tart, and that intriguing blue dish, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to make your acquaintance. Ahh so interesting to know and you made me smile. I bet they were a little sexist too, think woaw a woman ordering ghost peppers in a a BBQ sauce. The chocolate is really really good. I am finding it hard to resist. I recommend making your own berbere spice blend too, esp if you like hot spicy food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at your Psycho chocolate! lol
    I love your photo with the tomatoes!
    Thank you also for this month's IMK view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big smile. Thank you so much Joanne.

      Delete
  10. I loved your story about savouring that morsel of chocolate and about eking out the bars rather than gobbling them up. The sea horse looks vaguely Norse with that stamped pattern and those horns. It would make a fun sauce holder for dipping.

    Always interesting to see what's going on xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Fiona. Got one bar left 🔥 enjoying it v slowly. Thank you for your suggestion of the sea horse to be used as a sauce holder.

      Delete
  11. Wow that chocolate looks good Shaheen - a trip to Bristol for me to! I've had some naga chocolate before and it is seriously hot, but this one looks even more fun. Can't believe I didn't get any chocolate into my WSC post. Your tart looks amazing. My first thought for your new bowl was for serving nuts, crisps etc in - a soap dish never occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its awesome chocolate, really! Ah the dish bowl, I think now its an olive bowl, clarified by some kind bloggers, but nuts would be good to.

      Delete
  12. Hi Shaheen! The chocolate sounds fabulous, I'd love to give it a try! We were lucky to beat out the rabbits for our strawberries but we always supplement by picking at a local farm. Love the color of that seahorse, I'd probably use it as a condiment or dipping bowl. Thanks for the peek! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily, The chocolate is utterly gorgeous, i truly will be getting more. Oh you got rabbits hunting your strawberries, out problem are the slugs, they've eaten all my salad leaves :( The seahorse is gorgeous, I think we have figured it on being a serving bowl for olives.

      Delete
  13. I love your seahorse!! And my eyes are still very wide - you ate chocolate with jolokia chilli in it? Isn't that the stuff they originally grew to make elephant deterrent? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celia, ooh I don't know anything about it being an elephant deterrent, you must share more.

      Delete
  14. love the idea of the chocolate, and the little bowl is just charming. Such a good month for IMK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cate. The choc is AWESOME, i love it and can't wait to go back to Bristol to get more for my secret stash.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You