Monday, 15 June 2015

Spicy Green Harissa

I used to make red harissa and chermoula quite a lot in my University days.  I preferred both the red harissa and chermoula on my oven baked (sweet) potato chips to the brand name ketchup, but I haven't made either in a long while.  

This was about to change when my mother gave me a bunch of coriander and from my own garden, I harvested about a small bunch of parsley - a mixture of flat and curly, just in case your wondering. 
This is a fresh, fragrant and flavour packed green harissa. Please do come on over in the next few days when I will showcase some dishes that have been enhanced with a dollop or two of this lively green harissa sauce.  I am sharing this recipe with Lavender and Lovage for Cooking with Herbs  challenge.

My tolerance of chilli is quite high (advancing to bhut jolokia aka ghost chilli), but you can be cautious and use as many or as little as you like. If your interested in trying the red devil version, then follow this link for red harissa
Spicy Green Harissa
Makes a jar 
1 bunch of coriander, including stems
1 bunch of flat leaf parsley including stems
2 - 3 cloves garlic, sliced
4 - 8 long green chillies (or more), depending on how spicy you like it- with or without the seeds
60ml olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt to taste
Put all the ingredients into a blender (I used my super duper Optimum 9400) and process until smooth.  Taste and adjust salt if necessary and blitz again briefly before pouring into a jar or bowl. Keeps well in the fridge for a week.


  1. I love anything spicy/ with chili!
    Definitely waiting for some dish suggestions with this sauce soon. :)

    Vegetarian Courtesy

    1. Thank you Adi. The first recipe using it is up - hope you approve.

  2. Reminds me of a spicier version of Italian pesto...How are you?

    1. It reminded me of Indian style Coriander chutney too, I am okay generally - I am in a much better place now than I was a couple of years back for sure, thank you for asking.

  3. Nice! I make all of my own Harissa too, and chermoula - I think you and I may have a lot of tastes in common!!

  4. I think my comment has disappeared! What I wrote earlier was...
    Nice! I make all of my own harissa too, and chermoula - I think you and I may have a lot of tastes in common x
    Elaine @ foodbod

    1. Thank you Elaine. I have to approve the comments before they are published, get a bit of spam as you can appreciate. So your first comment has not been lost. I make chermoula too, love it with sweet potato oven baked chips. I agree we def. have a lot of tastes in common.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You