Thursday, 25 June 2015

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry

I picked up some ground Trinidad Moruga Scorpion reputed to be one of the worlds hottest if not the hottest chilli pepper in the world.  With my chilli tolerance being quite high, I was just curious to try it and with a name like Trinidad Moruga Scorpion got me even more interested - a bit like Chocolate Habenero Chilli Pepper.  

It had been in my kitchen for over a month as I was unsure what to make with it, but then one evening after work I just decided to make a straightforward Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry, but this one had attitude.  
Ooh 1 teaspoon of the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion would have been enough, but I got a little gutsy and added a 1/2 teaspoon more and my oh my, it was hot.  Thankfully, we could both eat it without too much hissing and reaching for something cooling like a natural yogurt.

This dish is so much better a day later though, as the flavours of the spice permeate through the texture of the vegetables.  The following day I did decide to thrown in a can of cooked chickpeas too for two reasons to tone down the chilli heat, but also to bulk it up a bit more.
I would certainly make this again (especially as I still have some ground Trinidad Moruga Scorpion to play with), but next time it will be with different vegetables like peppers, plantain, this time though I stayed within my comfort zone using vegetables that I often use for my African Sweet Potato, Kidney Bean and Ground Nut Curry, though the flavours of this sauce was completely different - proper spicy with heat on the tongue and signs of warmth on the cheeks.   

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Sweet Potato, Spinach and Chickpeas Curry
Serves 6 - 8 with rice
3 - 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
 1 large onion, finely sliced
2 - 3 garlic cloves
1 - 1 1/2 teaspoon ground Trinidad Moruga Scorpion 
Salt to taste
1 tin x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
1 x 400ml chickpeas, drained and rinsed
200ml water
Handful of fresh spinach
In a wide pan, heat the oil, then stir in the onion and garlic and cook until soft, then stir in the  Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and salt.  Cook for a minute of so before stirring in the chopped tomatoes,  Cook with the lid on for 20  minutes, stirring from time to time until the tomatoes have softened and become a thick sauce.  Then stir in the chopped sweet potatoes and cook for a few minutes, before stirring in the water.   Bring to a boil, the reduce heat and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, check by piercing a fork or knife through it.   When the vegetable is soft, stir in the chickpeas and spinach. Adjust seasoning if necessary, simmer for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted, then serve with rice.  


  1. I'd love to try some of that chilli powder - with a name like that it sounds incredible!

    1. Yay, a positive comment and Thank you. Your the first, I thought I had scared some of my readers away with the name of the chilli , hence no comments - so I am really pleased to read yours. It is very hot, so def. one for chilli heads.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You